Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 5/3
Willard is definitely waking up we got 2 limits of Walleye to take home throwing back two small ones also caught a bruiser wiper today. Got them on 2oz. bottom bouncers at .8-1mph in 20-22’ of water, on fire tiger, Lindy perch pattern and silver and black worm harnesses. I’ll be back tomorrow morning, if you know my boat come say hi.
[Image: IMG-2209.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2215.jpg]I’m
Wow Shawn, nice wiper.
(05-03-2024, 09:41 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Willard is definitely waking up we got 2 limits of Walleye to take home throwing back two small ones also caught a bruiser wiper today. Got them on 2oz. bottom bouncers at .8-1mph in 20-22’ of water, on fire tiger, Lindy perch pattern and silver and black worm harnesses. I’ll be back tomorrow morning, if you know my boat come say hi.

Good job Shawn, it was a great day out there. I could do without the wind but it calmed down in the afternoon. Got to see two jet skiers collide. The things we see on the water.
I would have been celebrating watching the jet skis crash. I'm cold and cruel and would have thrown them an anchor for "help". LOL Genetic selection at its finest!!
(05-04-2024, 12:12 AM)Redrebel Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 09:41 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Willard is definitely waking up we got 2 limits of Walleye to take home throwing back two small ones also caught a bruiser wiper today. Got them on 2oz. bottom bouncers at .8-1mph in 20-22’ of water, on fire tiger, Lindy perch pattern and silver and black worm harnesses. I’ll be back tomorrow morning, if you know my boat come say hi.

Good job Shawn, it was a great day out there. I could do without the wind but it calmed down in the afternoon. Got to see two jet skiers collide. The things we see on the water.
That 11:00 am to 12:00 noon wind was no fun, but I’m glad we stuck it out right when it died is when I got the Wiper. Did you get your limit?
(05-04-2024, 12:58 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(05-04-2024, 12:12 AM)Redrebel Wrote:

That 11:00 am to 12:00 noon wind was no fun, but I’m glad we stuck it out right when it died is when I got the Wiper. Did you get your limit?
Only 4 eyes biggest was 20” . I’m learning new areas that Ira told me to look at. Got 2 cats and a perch though.
I will be out tomorrow with some student anglers. South or west dike depending on where there are less people. I would try the south canal inlet first but last time I tried that on a Saturday I had 20 assistant fishermen next to me by 8 AM. Will save that for a weekday and hope for less crowds.

If you see the big cowboy hat, herd some critters our way.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-04-2024, 01:40 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I will be out tomorrow with some student anglers. South or west dike depending on where there are less people. I would try the south canal inlet first but last time I tried that on a Saturday I had 20 assistant fishermen next to me by 8 AM. Will save that for a weekday and hope for less crowds.

If you see the big cowboy hat, herd some critters our way.

Might be a slow day for you all, will be better in a couple weeks, but you should definitely try soaking some mussels, if any of your kids hook into a Wiper it will make an impression. Wish your insurance would allow me to to take you guys on the boat, would certainly up your odds. Your best bet may be in the North Marina the Crappie should be in there any day now.
Looks like a good day to me!
We turned tail and ran when the wind kicked up around Noon.  We took one home and I had it for dinner last night.  I'm done for at least a week.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I fished it Saturday morning 5/4 from 0645 until noon. Surprisingly there were not a lot a boats for a weekend. I think the weather forecast scared people away. Anyway, it was SLOW. I caught one small wiper in 5 hours! We tried four different spots where I have had luck in the past. I was watching other boats and I never saw one fish caught or netted! When I pulled my boat at noon, I hung around the cleaning station/restroom for about 30 minutes while I was prepping my boat for the ride home. It was the same story with the 9 other boats that I spoke with. All were good fishing boats and everyone seemed to know what they were doing. But out of those 9 boats, I saw exactly two cats and nothing else! Those guys were still fishing just for cats, but everyone else was in search of the elusive walleye/wiper/perch. It has been pretty fickle so far.....one day hot and the next miserable. It was still a nice day on the water. East wind about 10-15 mph to start with but it calmed down by about 0830. Nice day on the water and bugs weren't terrible either. 56.9F water temp mid morning. Ran harnesses, flatfish, and then switched to crankbaits. Just wasn't happening.
What a difference a day makes, only put 3 in the box, got dead calm and there was no bite my guest was ready to go at 1pm, maybe as the wind builds this afternoon it will turn on. Otherwise I’m out of State next weekend and will get back at it when it is on fire in 2 weeks.
[Image: IMG-2218.jpg]
I'll take the blame for this one guys. I showed up at Willard at 6:00 this morning and surprise, surprise, the bite was off. It usually happens whenever I convince myself that it will be worth it to drive 100 miles and burn $60 in diesel to get in on the hot bite.  It would be wise to check and see if I'm on the lake before fishing Willard. hahahhaha I did see Shawn and Red Rebel, sorry for cutting you off early RR, I was working on a tangle and didn't see you. We did manage one Walleye and 2 cats so it wasn't a skunk so I guess I better not complain too much.
Shawn (EyLayo) and I were also out there today. Like everyone else, we struggled mightily. Shawn lost a carp, at the boat, and I managed to catch one walleye. We fished from about 6:45 to 1 PM.
Same story here Friday was hot Saturday was not put 3 in the bucket so not all bad
I’m still the new guy… I’ll be happy with my 3 in the box. If it wasn’t for Shawn’s tips I probably would have gotten skunked.
And I will add a bank tangling report to this Sad tale of woes from Saturday at Willard

The students and I tried 3 spots and not even a tap to show for it. Luckily our backup plan worked.

I will post a report on that later.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
BLFG - I know where all the boats were Saturday. Soldier Creek has not had much traffic until Saturday - it was the popular spot. I'm sure with Adam Eakle's program yesterday, popularity will only increase. After discussion and consideration of Willard with Shawn and Richard (FishfulThinkin) I flipped the coin and went to SC. The wind was brutal but put 3 kokanee in the boat and released many cutts. Surprisingly no rainbows wanted to play yesterday.
One note, we were there the day Adam was filming and Corey put them on many more kokanee that day than we found.
(05-05-2024, 04:32 PM)brookie Wrote: BLFG - I know where all the boats were Saturday. Soldier Creek has not had much traffic until Saturday - it was the popular spot. I'm sure with Adam Eakle's program yesterday, popularity will only increase. After discussion and consideration of Willard with Shawn and Richard (FishfulThinkin) I flipped the coin and went to SC. The wind was brutal but put 3 kokanee in the boat and released many cutts. Surprisingly no rainbows wanted to play yesterday.
One note, we were there the day Adam was filming and Corey put them on many more kokanee that day than we found.

After seeing Adan E program, I figured you and Robert had been up there too. Do you know what day the SC side opened up?

Great Willard report Shawn
(05-05-2024, 05:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-05-2024, 04:32 PM)brookie Wrote: BLFG - I know where all the boats were Saturday. Soldier Creek has not had much traffic until Saturday - it was the popular spot. I'm sure with Adam Eakle's program yesterday, popularity will only increase. After discussion and consideration of Willard with Shawn and Richard (FishfulThinkin) I flipped the coin and went to SC. The wind was brutal but put 3 kokanee in the boat and released many cutts. Surprisingly no rainbows wanted to play yesterday.

After seeing Adan E program, I figured you and Robert had been up there too. Do you know what day the SC side opened up?

Great Willard report Shawn
somewhere around Thursday the 25th, sorry I didn't mean to hijack Shawn's report.