Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
custom rods?
I'm not sure but I think I'm getting a little out of hand here.

Through this whole process I've been going through to choose new equipment I'm sure you noticed that I've gone from a "best bang for my buck" attitude to "do it right the first time and be done". Been handling a lot of stuff recently and thanks to you folks I've got my sense about me dealing with the reels.

Now the rods I've been looking at have ranged over the spectrum of manufacturers and I've found something to be quite common with the rods that have been available to me to actually hold.. the grips have been relatively small in length and diameter which isn't very comfortable for me [unsure]..

Now here's the gig.. I'm not the most proficient fly angler as I've openly admited previously. If I was to advise someone, myself on the matter I would probably tell them they're crazy to consider it until they know a little more about what they want in a rod.

Considering that - would it be worth it if not just for the grip size to have one built?

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts folks - I appreciate them all!
[signature]
Ill defer to the experts on this one but I have a feeling this is going to be a very interesting thread to follow.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I hesitate to respond to questions or comments on this forum, as they are like discussions on politics or religion.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]But, Are you saying that the size of the cork on standard rods is too small or too large for your comfort?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]My opinion is that a fly rod is a tool, but not a hammer. I have large hands and long fingers, and find most rods to be just right, but I have found that I prefer a smaller grip on the lighter/shorter rods. (more delicate presentation)[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If you find that the grip on standard rods is too small, try wrapping it with tape until you have found a size that you like, then make decisions about what to do and where to go after that.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If you go custom, there are many choices. Some people like finger indents in their grips.[/size]
[size 3]Others shape them with large palm swells to fit their grip. With custom rods, the options are many.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]Hey there Saberfish - never be concerned that your opinion has no value here. Is is an open forum where we get to chew the fat so to speak. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately since it is getting warmer] we don't have a general store with a pot belly stove to gather around and talk fly stuff. Probably no one around here remembers those days except me. Darn I'm always going off on a tangent. SF you asked the same questions that I had in mind. I have rather big hands too. Not like Shack O'Neil but then who does. To me the grip is more eye candy then anything else. If it looks good then it usually feels good. Probably an over simplification than anything else. Hey there birddogwi if you are holding your rod like a baseball bat then you are holding it too tight. The last thing one wants to do is create tension in the grip. Unless you want to spring for a custom made rod I am sure there is one out there with your name on it. Good luck finding what you want.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Diddo to what Saber said. My TFO Professional 10' 5wt has the full wells, you might wanna check that out. Most rods come with a WESTERN Wells.

I like the smaller handles but I do also have big hands (I'm a 5 string bass player LOL).

Like Saber said, you want the delicate touch.
Just found this site also: [url "http://www.beulahflyrods.com/products.html"]http://www.beulahflyrods.com/products.html[/url]
[signature]
hi Saber.. I see what you're getting at with the discussion thing.. never mind any sparring - I just need some solid thoughts and opinions. Differences are just differences.. people are different and so are their thoughts.. someone doesn't like it - well nothing to worry about. We ALL have our reasons.[cool] My question wasn't intended to be debated .. I need some solid opinions from folks since no one immediately around me neither fly fishes much or doesn't have much of an intrest in newer equipment. Since I don't trust what most shops sales people say (for a bunch of various reasons) that's why I'm rifling these questions out to you folks.

anywho.. thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts! [Wink]
[signature]
Hey DR .. naw I'm not holding it like a ball bat .. my grip is correct I believe and the only time I bear down on it (grip it tighter) is on my cast to send the fly.. I just went outside into the back yard and tossed it around a bit.. even went for a few longer casts with a good amount of line and it still seems to be somewhat rigid but I wouldn't say god awful tight either..lol,.. but what do I know [Tongue] I did notice my pinky and ring-finger progressively gripped tighter though.. [crazy].. anywho.

yea .. thats what I didn't/don't want to do is spring for a custom rod - I figure the money would be better spent else where.

thanks for your thoughts [Wink]
[signature]
thanks FG! .. funny you say that about the western wells .. every flyrod old and newer I have has it except one with a half wells and thats on the old tree trunk glass rod that could double as a pole valt pole [pirate] I'll definately check into the full wells styles and see what I come up with.

Sounds like you've got some good dexterity in those long fingers.. once upon a time I played a little guitar but those things haven't seen the light of day for moons!!..

I'll keep all this in mind here.. rod site looks good too.. I'll see after a few more trips around here what I options I can dig up and get back here for some more feedback

thanks again FG! [Wink]
[signature]
Sounds good. I just found that site and I am real serious about the 4wt or the 5/6wt SWITCH. Man you could cast to the shore on the other side of the lake[laugh], plus they are beautiful and reasonably priced.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Those are good looking rods.[/size][/black]
[size 3]Have you ever seen one or handled one in person?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I stillwater fish with 10 footers, and one thing that has bothered me about that is when you land a fish, it really does stress the rod just before netting. So I hold the rod back behind me to eliminate the tight arch in the rod tip.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I can guess how stressed I'd be with one over 10 foot long.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I guess that is what I like the most. Could be the reason for the love of glass and boo, I LIKE THAT BEND[cool][cool]
Spey casters have been doing it for years, why not a smaller set up. Plus the Polish Nymphing with the real heavy flies.
[signature]
Yes they do look sweet.. I like the addition of the rubberized cork rings at the ends of the grips no not sooo bad on the money end either. lol @ the other side of the lake comment.. If I'd get 40yds out of it I'd be happy as pig in poo [laugh]

do you know if they roll their own blanks -or- didn't I read enough?
[signature]
I am pretty sure they do roll their own, but I won't swear to it yet.
[signature]
Ok.. thanks yet again FG
[signature]
I have come to a conclusion that I am, in fact,...

"In over my head"!

[pirate]

# of pieces [mad][crazy] - just want a good quality friggin simple 2 piece rod in a 5/6 wt with a thicker grip.

I'm calling St Croix this morning to see what they can do for me since they're right here in Park Falls, WI.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey FG, I just remembered that a few years ago Cabelas had a rod in their catalog that they were selling for stillwater fly fishing. It was 11 or 12 feet long. I haven't checked their catalog or web site to see if they still carry them.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I would think that you could cast one of those babies a country mile.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Also, it could be the answer to the age old question, "does size really matter?' ha ha[/size]
[signature]
The phone call to St Croix wasn't very productive

"sorry, we don't do any customising" [laugh]
[signature]
Not sure about Cabelas but I do know that Orvis carries 11' plus rigs
[signature]
But Orvis's are SPEY casting and heavier weight. Now looking at the site I posted, they do look like speys. I have seen switch with a small two finger fighting butt and I don't recall the main grip being that big (two handed) but the fact they are making them in the lighter weight, I guess that is why they call them SWITCH instead of SPEY.
[signature]
I noticed that too.. so will have to go with your experience on why or what the differences are between the two types of rods.. but .. I think I heard or read somewhere that the switch rod is the intermediate step between a standard fly rig and a spey rig.. and to me that makes some sense since the spey casting guru on that other site is emphatic about not being able to spey cast on still water with a standard fly rig.. and that spey rods are not made for stillwater situations.. which left ppl like me stuck between a rock and that hard place.. lol.. so maybe.. the switch is the interim rod that a stillwater ff'er can use in that unigue situation.. whewwwwwwww.. man that was a lot of typing and thinking...especially right after lunch... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]