Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iowa scouting trip
I and my wife slipped over to scout South Iowa to check out some lakes we have never been to. We were carefull not to get hung up on any single lake, but rather check out a few.
One small lake came in as easily most desireable but also found other very promising water to return to.
We took a few pictures at the small lake. Illinoisgiller
[signature]
Good Scouting! & Catching!
My family is in Iowa from up by Okaboji and Spirit Lake to the tri cities, Thanks for the report, but what was your lure of choice?
[signature]
Excellent pictures and report!!![Smile]
[signature]
Idahopanfish, Sorry, I forgot to mention the part that is most imortant to me. Also important and adding to my joy was the 8 1/2' UL Hybrid rod I used. 3wt. fly blank built with spinning hdw including a dozen light guides..BigDaddyRods done it up fer me. It's a pretty up town outfit but a joy to fish gills with.
I was using a jig-fly that I build with solder on a #10 dry fly fly hook. There is one like it available at the Grizzly Jig Co called the Bill's Water Flea. If you get theirs, put some Hard as Nails fingernail polish over the threads so they don't come unraveled. That pink head w/mallard duck flank feathers. is , by far, the deadliest jig I have ever used and it is just as good on a fly rod. Darn thing should be named Pink Death.lol If you want me to tie up some for you---no! lol lol
The wife was using a similar fly-jig I tied with brown duck feathers.
When the wind whipped the water to a froth I switched to a Chartruse legged spider type jig that Garylee Thurm taught me to tie. The crappie loved that one. I was tipping with wax worms.
I still haven't come back down to earth from all that joy.
I have never been to the tourist area of the Iowa Great Lakes. No desire to go there, I'm a country boy.
The time is right, hope everyone gets some quality time on the water. ole Mike
[signature]
Nice pics and report OP. I'm going to try to get out crappie fishing here in northern MN sometime this week. I will report if i do.
[signature]