Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with Fishing Gear
Hey all,

I'm coming down to Fort Myers for a 2 weeks fishing get away in about 2 weeks. Its going to be me and my brother. We usually go down to florida every winter. Last year we had a blast fishing both on piers and inshore. However we had some old fishing reels/poles from i dont know how many years back. This year we decided to get some new gear for our trip. My budget is around 300 dollars and was hoping to get 2-3 sets (reels+poles). Nothing to expensive but good enough. (we bought 2 shakespeare fishing poles from walmart last year and it broke on us w/in 2 days). Anyways please let me know if 300 is doable and point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance guys.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! Try out bass pro shops. Their website is basspro.com this should help get you started.
[signature]
Before you spec out new gear, you need to determine what your fishing circumstances will be. (pier, surf, boat, etc..) that's important info when you are selecting rod length and action. You also need a rough idea of the size/type of fish you'll be targeting. You need to have the right gear for the job and conditions you are fishing.

If you are looking for rods for surf, you need long, heavy action rods. If you are targeting larger species, a reel with good line capacity and steel gears.

From the pier, you can get away with a medium to short length rod depending on what you are fishing for. If you are targeting sheepshead, flounder, and other things around the pylons, you don't need a big clumsy rod. If you are casting away from the pier for whiting and such, you need a longer rod. What you are targeting and how you are fishing will also determine reel size and style.

From a boat, short and strong. I prefer jiging rods and light weight all steel spinning reels.

Most of the combos can be purchase for around 100 bucks a combo. If you can be more specific, I can narrow down the prospects.
[signature]