Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Embarassingly Silly Question about Power Grubs
I'm just getting in to fishing for pan fish and picked up some power grubs as well as some hollow tubes. I also picked up the lead, round headed hooks. I understand what to do with the hollow tubes, but (ahem), uh....how do I attached the hook to the power grub, which isn't hollow.

Here's what I did.
- put the hook through the "head" of the power grub and fed it down the body of the grub so the shank of the hook lay inside the grub and the hook poked out below. The problem with this is that the lead head of the jig is just sort of sticking out making it look funny. Does that part actually go in the grub?

I did catch fish doing this, but I'm wondering if they just felt sorry for me.

I really thank you for your patience. It's one of those questions that I'm likely going to smack my head when I get the right answer.
[signature]
The tip of the grub should touch the bottom of the lead head. The grub should lay straight so the tail will work properly. I think you described the proper way. I just stick the point of the hook in the middle of the grub head and feed the grub onto the hook until the head touches the jighead. Thus the point of the hook pokes back out of the grub and is exposed.

I don't know if the tubes are going to be your best panfish lure. Small grubs will work for crappies, but bigger grubs and tubes are more of a bass lure.

Try a small in-line spinner or some live worms under a float as well.
[signature]
Thanks!!
[signature]
[Image: bobwink.gif] I have used tubes for bream and crappie. I filled the body with Kodiak scent (like a gel) and also put crappie nibbles on the hook. When I don't use the scent, I just add the Berkley crappie nibbles. The crappie and bream love them!!!!
[signature]
as long as u catch sumin thats all that matters
[signature]
Tronner -

if I'm following what you're saying you purchased regular round jig heads that you're using for both panfish tubes and grubs, yeah?

if so, consider just using those jigheads for the grubs only. I'd focus on weights between 1/64th oz. and 1/8th oz. for panfish and use as small a curly tail grub as you can - reason being that panfish are so attracted to the tail that often they strike just it and rip it off the grub.

the small panfish tubes work very well, but they're better with jigheads designed for them. these jig heads will fit inside the tube and are recognized by a conical lead weight, as opposed to the round one. just wet the tube jig head with saliva or water and slip it up into the tube. where you choose to stop it and poke the hook eye out is up to you - all the way up will cause it to fall more vertically with a pronounced spiral as it falls, whereas stopping it midway down the tube and poking the hook eye out will cause it to fall more horizontally and flutter a bit more with less spiral.

hope all this helps, and one more thing. you can also rig tubes texas style and weedless by using a bullet style sinker ahead of the tube. it's hard to find small bullet sinkers for panfish tubes, though, so I'd recommend buying some Hollow core lead, steel or whatever metal you prefer. then you can cut a piece off the hollow core that is small and unobtrusive looking. once you cut the piece off - take your snips and cut along the top of the weight to make it a conical shape that slips through cover better. if you find burrs in the metal that you feel will cut against the line you can remove them with a file, sandpaper or whatever.

sorry for the rambling. g'luck!
[signature]
[fishin] I use 1/16 and 1/32 size jigs. That is just my preference. I think that I have used 1/8 once or twice.
If I need a little weight I will add small split shot above the jig.
[signature]