Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye on a flyrod
Full moon, cold front and gusty winds in the forecast. I almost stayed home but decided to go to Willard anyway. TubeDude has told me several times how to catch kitties with a flyrod so I threw mine in the boat if fishing was slow. Never managed to get a kitty, but did find a walleye that liked my black wolly bugger. Took a while but I also found some fish in a new location on my way back to the south marina. Marked the spot in my GPS for future references. Turned out to be a good day.

Larry
[signature]
[#0000FF]Congrats.

In former times...when there were no shad or wipers...I used to fish flies along the dikes a lot. My primary targets were the everpresent crappies but I also caught lots of cats and walleyes. Everything seemed to orient more to the rocks before shad.

Now the fish are all scattered and it is a different story. But if you can find the fish you can catch them on flies as well as other lures. When they are boiling on top it is simple with any floating or slow sinking white pattern...shad imitations. However, once the newly hatched catfish start showing up around the dikes a black bugger or other tie will score almost all species. But dark Clouser type patterns are good too.

Fun fun.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Very cool, congrats!
[signature]