Fishing Forum

Full Version: Rigger weights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im curious how heavy are alot of you experianced Down Rigger fisherman going on your weights. Im guessing some what variable depending on speed , depth, etc.

Appreciate any thoughts on this
I'm curious how heavy are a lot of you experienced Down Rigger fisherman going on your weights. I'm guessing some what variable depending on speed , depth, etc Appreciate any thoughts on this

It depends on how deep I'm fishing, if I'm fishing shallow, 20 to 30 ft I'll use a ball a small as 4 lbs. Deeper than that I'll use 6 to 8 lb balls. Sure you get more back sweep on the smaller balls but IMO that isn't a deal breaker. I've tried all different designs, from 10 lb pancake to the fish shaped balls up to 12 lbs but I keep coming back to the smaller balls and I've been happy with them, unless I'm on someone else's boat, then I'll use whatever they have.
I have to agree with Wiperhunter on this one , I also use 8-10 lb weights depending on the depth .
I run 10 lb all the time.