Fishing Forum

Full Version: What line for ice fishing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So now that ice fishing season has kicked in regionally, and some of you on this board have been out getting a few nice fish, I have a general tackle question? What type of line do you prefer on your reel for use during ice fishing trips? I have always just used standard stren type monifiliment line. I see in the tackle shops, lines specifically for ice fishing they say. What do you guys think?
[signature]
I mostly use the standard stren or berkley line but have tried some others as well. I like to use the lighter line when I can get away with it. 2lb line is what I would prefer if I'm fishing with micro jigs or fishing for smaller fish like perch. When I have a good chance of hooking into fish 18" and larger fish I feel much more comfortable with 4lb or larger line. I think the real trick with fishing 2lb and 4lb line is to check and retie your line often. Even though braided lines tend to have more ice frozen on them I would prefer them when fishing down deep because they provide a better hook set. I've had good results with berkley vanish while fishing "soft water" so I'm trying it this winter in 2lb & 4lb line. It has worked well so far but I still haven't decide if is good enough to pay the extra price. I've also used the berkley ice line. I haven't noticed any substantial benefits in it over regular stren and think it is at least partially made to get us fisherman to spend a couple extra bucks. All of this is just my opinion and I'm sure there are others out there that have much more experience with ice fishing lines.
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[signature]