Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What line for ice fishing?
So now that ice fishing season has kicked in regionally, and some of you on this board have been out getting a few nice fish, I have a general tackle question? What type of line do you prefer on your reel for use during ice fishing trips? I have always just used standard stren type monifiliment line. I see in the tackle shops, lines specifically for ice fishing they say. What do you guys think?
[signature]
I mostly use the standard stren or berkley line but have tried some others as well. I like to use the lighter line when I can get away with it. 2lb line is what I would prefer if I'm fishing with micro jigs or fishing for smaller fish like perch. When I have a good chance of hooking into fish 18" and larger fish I feel much more comfortable with 4lb or larger line. I think the real trick with fishing 2lb and 4lb line is to check and retie your line often. Even though braided lines tend to have more ice frozen on them I would prefer them when fishing down deep because they provide a better hook set. I've had good results with berkley vanish while fishing "soft water" so I'm trying it this winter in 2lb & 4lb line. It has worked well so far but I still haven't decide if is good enough to pay the extra price. I've also used the berkley ice line. I haven't noticed any substantial benefits in it over regular stren and think it is at least partially made to get us fisherman to spend a couple extra bucks. All of this is just my opinion and I'm sure there are others out there that have much more experience with ice fishing lines.
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[signature]