Fishing Forum

Full Version: one or two piece rod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My brother has just finished dental school and wants to get back into fishing. I have spent some time trying to get him set up with fishing combo's. For the last few years I have purchased one piece rod's not really knowing why.

Can anyone provide some info on why a one piece over a two piece rod?

thanks in advance
[signature]
there is a reason for one piece rod and thats sesitivity and how durable the rod can be.

If your just a weekend fisher then maby a 2piece will be just fine but if you looking for the best go with a one piece rod.

loomis-coix-falcon-dobyns-rogue.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The only advantage to a 2 piece rod is portability. If you have limited space in your vehicle or tackle storage area in your home, then a 2 piece is better. But, for sensitivity, strength and "togetherness" go with a 1 piece.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Too many potential problems with a 2 piece. You have to line up the guides just right when putting the rod together...and if you don't get the two pieces properly fitted the top part can fly off during a cast. If you get them together too tightly, it can be tough to get them apart after fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for you advice. For my 'all purpose' catchin outfits I have always fished with a 6 1/2' ML set up.

What would you reccomend to someone getting back into fishing and looking for one or two all purpose Utah species combo's .

Would you be willing to make some specific reccomendations as to rod and reel models? Thanks again!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are no definitive answers to any of your questions. Much depends on several factors: Your size and physical conditioning...the size and type of lures you will be throwing...and how far...the type of fish you expect to catch...whether spinning or baitcasting, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It ain't easy settling on a couple of rods. I know. I build all of my own and I probably have well over 50 rod/reel outfits that I still use. I have sold or given away countless others as I moved to different areas or changed fishing preferences.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, fishing from shore, boat, float tube or pontoon can make a slight difference in what you might want to choose. I fish mostly from a float tube and I take out five rods on every trip. Depending upon where I plan to go...and what I expect to catch...I might have everything from UL spinning to Med Heavy baitcast in my arsenal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I prefer to fish with light tackle for medium size to large fish. I mostly use ML spinning and BC, spooled with 6 or 8 pound premium mono. My rods are mostly 6.5 and 7 foot, to give me more reach from a tube, but I also use shorter rods for making short accurate casts along a shoreline...or for vertical jigging.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not buy "premium" blanks. I DO use good quality graphite blanks, but I do not blow a mortgage payment on a single "name" blank. I have been fishing a long time and I am pretty sensitive to the differences in the ways rods fish. I cannot justify spending three or four times more than I should for a blank that will not catch any more fish for me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some anglers do not spend enough time on the water, using enough different types of rods, to appreciate the subtle differences in feel and action. Many more experienced anglers simply don't give a hoot and will fish with anything they pick up. Over time, you will become a better fisherman and enjoy your sport more if you DO buy quality...but it does not have to be the most expensive.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
As always I'm appreciative of your wisdom and willingness to share!

thanks!

He will also be doing a lot of fishing from a tube. I picked up a 6' UL and a 6 1/2' ML IM6 graphite rod for him and matched them with Okuma spinning reels.

Cant wait to get out with my brother and boys to catch some fish.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Okumas, huh? That is interesting. I probably have over a dozen Okuma Epixors and three or four of their other models. I really like the smoothness and the drag system. Never lost a fish on them because of faulty drag.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like you have a good system picked out. Hope you all enjoy the fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]With the UL and ML, I think you chose some good all around rods that will serve most applications.[/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Did you end up getting 1 or 2 piece rods ? What kind are they (make, model) ? [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Although I have some 1 piece rods, I personally like 2 piece rods for the portability, but, as was mentioned, the 1 piecers are more sensitive and tend to be a "little" more durable (depending on the manufacurer, construction, material and care given). IM6 rods are pretty sensitive, and yet ,for graphite rods, they seem to still to be able to withstand some abuse.[/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Which Okuma reels did you get ?[/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]I Also have about a dozen Okuma reels (spinning, baitfeeders, casting and trolling) and they have served me well for a good number of years with no problems. Great reels in my book ! [/#008000]
[signature]
We ended up getting the Okuma Hardston and Cabelas Tourney Trail IM6 for $39.00. Can't beat the price. The reel alone is $39.00. The reviews I have read on this outfit are outstanding! My brother has his and really enjoys them.

I have ordered two and they are on backorder[frown]! I should have them within the next couple of weeks.

here is a link to them.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20287&rid=&indexId=cat20287&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20287&id=0053828"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20287&rid=&indexId=cat20287&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20287&id=0053828[/url]
[signature]
While buying a Fenwick HMG that I had picked off the rack last year, my father asked me why I preferred the one piece rods. I showed him with numerous thrusts and parrys what "only a one piece can do". I flicked the tip as he gripped it to show him the superior sensitivity of it and then I showed him how much backbone the rod possessed while I bent it pretty mightily. I then handed it to the cashier who was two feet away throughout the whole exhibition and I paid him in full. He didn't blink an eye when he pulled the rod down into two pieces, wrapped a rubberband around them and handed me my new two piece rod with a Smile. Boy did I feel dumb and man was that a nice two piece rod. Them Fenwick boys hide the splice on that rod real well and it truly did feel like a one piece. No this isn't a commercial for Fenwick and to prove it I'll say "Don't buy Fenwick rods."

Now you need a MH for bassin'. I recommend the Bass Pro Shops Graphite series rod with a Daiwa Regal Xia spinning reel (which comes as a combo) for a very reasonable 60 dollars (that's the price I paid, it might have gone up ten dollars). This is a decent rig for cheap, I have worse setups that cost three times as much.
[signature]
I've gotten to the point all I use is a 6' two piece ultra light ugly stick that is fairly stiff for almost all my fishing. I use a small, good quality light spinning reel (5 or 6 ball bearing) with an instant anti reverse & spool it with 10 lb. Spider Wire or Fireline braided line.

I've handled up to 15 lb. channel cats with this outfit & can still fish for yellow perch just fine.

He can get set up like this for under $50.00 and go from there to whatever he likes better once he gets into it.. Terminal tackle is where fish of size are kept or lost. Pick the TubeDude's brain on that matter.
[signature]
One piece rods IMHO are unecessary there is no real difference might be a tiny bit more sensitive. But strength? How many times have you heard it wouldn't have broke if it was a one piece rod?
But i'm sure there is people who say one peice rods make a world of difference. I'm not one of them. Having a one piece is tuff when it comes to transportation atleast for me.
6ft rods are my personal favorite good for rivers and lakes. I recently bought a shimano clarus rod at cabelas.
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20374&id=0023076118358a&navCount=1&podId=0023076&parentId=cat20374&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20374&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20374&id=0023076118358a&navCount=1&podId=0023076&parentId=cat20374&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20374&hasJS=true[/url]
I got the 6'0" 2 peice medium action i use it for trout fishing.
I had an okuma epixor and hated how loose the handle was took it back for a shimano sahara and love it!
Now when it comes to fishing for bass and kitties i use an 6'6" ugly lite medium action with a okuma hardstone i like it alot. Never fish higher then 10 pound test or lower then 6lb and its always mono.
[signature]
[quote metal_fish] Never fish higher then 10 pound test or lower then 6lb and its always mono.[/quote]

Just a wild guess bet that you don't fish for sturgeon very often.
[signature]
I wish that i did fish for sturgeon but Sadly no.
But i am talking utah fishing
[signature]