Fishing Forum

Full Version: Flaming Gorge Burbot Report- 1/31/09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seven of us hit the ice at Marsh Creek again on Saturday night, icing 42 burbot. The bite was much slower/lighter than what we saw the week before, and the catches were pretty variable (3-12 fish per angler). It seems like the angler closest to the main channel of the lake always has the best action. We caught fish in depths from 8-35ft and most of the fish came by dead sticking glow baits (tube jigs, grubs, Rapala Jigging Shad Raps, jigging spoons). With the light bite, tip-ups didn't appear as effective as rods.

Our fish were generally smaller, most in the 14-16 inch range and a few around 20-22 inches. Some anglers further out from us caught a few in the 24-inch range. Ice was good (7-8 in) in the cove where we fished, but there's still some bad ice and open water in the main channel. Hope it helps, Ryno
[signature]
My dad and I went up Saturday night 6pm, stayed until 8 in the morning. Slept from about 2 am till 6. Between the two of us we caught 48 burbot. That is exceptional considering we only fished for around 8 hours. We had 12 measuring over 24 inches. One was 30 inches. Biggest burbot I have ever seen. Fishing was very fast. Good luck to the rest of ya!
[signature]
Welcome to the site burbotman, thanks for signing up for BFT. That is a great first report with so many over 24" and a 30 incher, were you in a hot location or doing something different than everyone else? Did the burbot have any eggs in them or had they already spawned? WH2
[signature]