Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Burbot Report- 1/31/09
Seven of us hit the ice at Marsh Creek again on Saturday night, icing 42 burbot. The bite was much slower/lighter than what we saw the week before, and the catches were pretty variable (3-12 fish per angler). It seems like the angler closest to the main channel of the lake always has the best action. We caught fish in depths from 8-35ft and most of the fish came by dead sticking glow baits (tube jigs, grubs, Rapala Jigging Shad Raps, jigging spoons). With the light bite, tip-ups didn't appear as effective as rods.

Our fish were generally smaller, most in the 14-16 inch range and a few around 20-22 inches. Some anglers further out from us caught a few in the 24-inch range. Ice was good (7-8 in) in the cove where we fished, but there's still some bad ice and open water in the main channel. Hope it helps, Ryno
[signature]
My dad and I went up Saturday night 6pm, stayed until 8 in the morning. Slept from about 2 am till 6. Between the two of us we caught 48 burbot. That is exceptional considering we only fished for around 8 hours. We had 12 measuring over 24 inches. One was 30 inches. Biggest burbot I have ever seen. Fishing was very fast. Good luck to the rest of ya!
[signature]
Welcome to the site burbotman, thanks for signing up for BFT. That is a great first report with so many over 24" and a 30 incher, were you in a hot location or doing something different than everyone else? Did the burbot have any eggs in them or had they already spawned? WH2
[signature]