Fishing Forum

Full Version: Swivel usage w/ plastics?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone use swivels with say a tube jig or other soft plastics? I've done it on occasion because I'm too lazy to sit and re-tie lures as I search for the bait fish are wanting. But I've always wondered if it would cause the bait to give a presentation that was less than natural. Let me know what you think. Especially you bass boys out there.
[signature]
The only time I use a swivel with plastic is a three way swivel on a drop shot rig. Rest of the time it is tied to the line directly.
[signature]
I've often wondered about this also. I'm curious as to what the opinions out there are.
[signature]
I don't use swivels with TubeJigs when jigging , I feel that I miss more hits that way. I like to tie directly to the Jighead . I'll use them off and on when trolling depends on what lures I'm using .
[signature]
I am far from an expert on this, but I personaly do not use one. I like the feel and ability to position the jig head angle based on the knot position on the head. I like the feel of the direct line to hook eye and I think it would cut down on presentation a bit as well.

Shawn
[signature]
I too have debated this topic with myself (I know the skiers must think me odd - sittin' there bickering with myself! Can get pretty heated!! [:p])
I need to bring glasses, or a magnifying glass - I feel so fumbly sometimes trying to get a knot on. Waste far too much potential casting time on rigging, rerigging, etc.

Snaps are very beneficial when trying to test every color shape size of lure on our underwater friends. But I have felt the smaller type lures - jig hooks, jig-heads, small plastics, swimbaits - probably get better action - weighted movement without a swivel snap. Now a small swivel farther up the line - just to avoid the twisties.

I've definitely found some topwaters need to be tied without the extra forward weight. Got one with a buzz-propeller on the front, and it does NOT get the right action with added weight forward.

Now I've also pondered the impact on other lures - more of the rapalla, diving crank baits, flat-raps, the hard-candy collection. How much does their action get messed with by a swivel, and how much do they need to be tied direct? I tend to figure - the bigger the lure, the less the impact. The diving, or neutral - less than a floater. Again - the topwaters should tie direct.

Further - I've wondered how much good or bad is done to a lures natural "flutter" and "wobble" by tipping the hooks - be it worm, plastic, or gulp. I do like to add some flavor - and chew - one way or another.

Lastly - what about swivel-snap color? Black vs Gold? Might depend on the water quality? Color of lure being latched on... more questions than answers.

Good topic though. I like to see what folks preferences are.
[signature]
I vertical jig for bass and bluegill at Mantua a few times a week. I use fly snaps which are much smaller and they seem to work well for me. They don't hinder the natural action of the bait as much as a swivel does.
[signature]
I use snap swivels probably 99.99% of the time 'cause I'm just too cussed lazy to keep tieing knots plus I don't see as well as I used to & some of my digital dexterity is getting less. I still manage to catch enough to keep me happy.
[signature]
[quote timberhall]I vertical jig for bass and bluegill at Mantua a few times a week. I use fly snaps which are much smaller and they seem to work well for me. They don't hinder the natural action of the bait as much as a swivel does.[/quote]

Great idea, they would work great on jig heads and be easy to change colors, or types.
[signature]
It has been my experience that I get far more bites if the jig is horizontal. Most jigs that I use will hang vertical if I use a swivel or a snap of some sort. For that reason, I always tie my jigs directly to my line and then slide the knot to the front so that the jig will hang horizontally. I also do not put a swivel up my line or leader. I used to do this but I have found that I get more hits without it being there. I believe that the swivel would sometimes spook the fish.
[signature]
I only use swivels when trolling and my catfish rigging. Have always felt it just didn't look natural and hindered the action. But what action does a tube jig have? A swivel don't stop the tail of your grub from swimming. As far as looking natural... what in the heck lives in any Lake in Utah that is red speckled head and a chartreuse body? what natural food source looks like a hot dog or hunk of cheese?
what the heck do i know?

It's personal preference I guess.
[signature]
And I've made the fatal mistake of NOT using a swivel when trolling - even if I had a lure I thought was belly heavy and wouldn't spin. WRONG! Jigs right up there - several reels of twisty twisty line - that needs some respooling!

As for spooking the fish - I used to worry a lot more about that, but since getting into trolling, and the whole pop-gear business plus, seems like you're after as much flash and vibration as you can muster. Be a whole school of bait-fish, not just a single tasty morsel. And don't get me started on the downriggers "song". They can hum a tune, no doubt!

I've really come to believe there are a LOT more fish out there watching and taking random stabs at our lures, maybe without even touching them - than we might realize. Heck I've even had fish strike at a bubble bobber dragged along the surface. Seems; if it moves they'll probably check it out.
Conversely - if visibility is good - any excess flash/noise -split shots/swivels that pass before a lure arrives - might set the mood before temptation is even presented.

Would love to get an underwater camera, and find out!
[signature]
No debating here period absolutely no swivel in tandem with any sort of plastic soft er hard for this fisherman.. Occasionally will use em while trolling depends on the crank and circumstances while on the troll..[Wink] my 3 cents
[signature]

I never use swivels on plastics. My belief is that swivels are for the simple purpose of reducing line twist.

If I am vertical jigging a tube jig, very little twisting (if any at all) occurs.

Now, if I were to troll a plastic lure that is designed to turn in the water, then you bet, by all means, put a swivel on.

My fishing buddy has splits in all of his tying fingers (due to his line of work) so tying knots for him is very painful and difficult. So, he uses these Duo-Lock snaps. He only has to tie one knot and switches out his plastics often and easily:

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0011850113061a.shtml?cmCat=perf&rid=0987654321&cm_mmc=Performics-_-CSE-_-$(Channel)$-_-0011850113061a&mr:trackingCode=DDD2EB92-74A6-DF11-907B-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&cm_ven=Affiliate&cm_ite=cabela&xpid=k232270&cm_cat=Google%20Product%20Listing%20Ads&cm_pla=Primary"]Duo-Lock Snaps
[/url]
I even use them on any lure that I troll IF IT IS NOT DESIGNED TO TWIST in the water.

Snaps make it very easy and fast to switch lures.

But in general, if a lure isn't going to twist the line, I will either tie direct or use a snap.
[signature]
for what it's worth,( and that probably ain't much) i always use a swivel. pretty much for the same reasons posted by GEEZER . with pretty much the same results, catch enough to keep me happy.
But it just somehow makes sense to me that it depends a lot on the other end of the rig. if you use a spinning reel, without a swivel, your line is going to twist. if you use a bait casting reel no swivel is necessary. (just a needle or small crochet hook to get the "bird nests" out.)
[signature]
I put a swivel between the braided line and the 2-3 feet of florocarbon line I tie to the jig or lure. I always do this in waters that have sturgeon so that if I get snagged up and break off it is usually only the leader on the end of the swivel that breaks. This reduces the amount of line lost in the lake and helps out the sturgeon by cutting down on the loose line they may ingest while feeding on the bottom. It has been reported that the messes of fishing lines that sturgeon ingest has caused some mortality. In addition braided line is expensive and loosing a couple feet of floro is way better than 20-30 yards of expensive line.
[signature]