Fishing Forum

Full Version: Jiffy Model 76 Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody else own a Jiffy model 76 power auger? I just picked one up from a pawn shop for a good deal. I put fresh gas in it, and it started right up. I let idle for a while, and then opened up the throttle. So far so good.

So I turned it off. Came back in about ten minutes, and she fired right up again, only this time it was making some noise every now and then. The noise is coming from the gearbox. I would slowly increase the throttle, and when the rpm's got to the point where the clutch should engage, instead of a smooth start, it would take a second and then the drill would pop and start turning. Once it starts turning, it's fine. It's just the initial start that is rough.

I guess my question is: Is this common for a Jiffy, or do I have some clutch issues or something else?

I have 30 days to check it out, and the pawn shop will refund my money if I don't want it, so any feedback would be great. Thanks.
[signature]
From what I've heard Jiffy makes the best gas auger hands down. My Eskimo has been good, but I hear that Jiffy is what the hard-core guys up north use.
Sounds like you might want to look in the gearbox and check for grease. Maybe google it and see what weight gear lube it takes and see if you can get some schematics on it.
[signature]
Run some Seafoam through it you may have had some carbon deposits build up in the engine. Check the air filter or muffler dust it out also never hurts to get a new spark plug .if that doesn't work adjust the idle/air Small 1/4 adjustments are all you want to make at any one time. Then rev the engine and let it return to idle. Most are set to rich and actually choke out. I would start by turning it clockwise first.
[signature]
I have used a Jiffy 76 for years and other that sharpening the blade every year and checking for the bolts and nuts on the gear box tightness it has been a great auger. I know you probably did but make sure you mix the gas and oil at the right ratio. Good luck
[signature]
First thing I'd check is how freely the auger can be turned by hand with the engine off. If it turns freely and you don't feel any roughness in the gears when turning it by hand, the gearbox is probably OK. If it binds or you feel something that doesn't feel right, take it back. By the way, be sure to turn the auger at least one full turn.

If the gearbox feels OK, it's probably the clutch. From what you describe, I'd suspect the flyweight / clutch pads might be sticky. If the engine has been run too rich or the oil mixture has been too rich, there may have been some partially burned oil "slobber" that has gotten into the clutch & kinda gummied it up. If that's all it is, a little carburetor cleaner sprayed into the clutch oughta loosen it up. You might have to rinse it out several times to get it good & clean.

Good luck.
[signature]
I've heard the same thing about Jiffy augers. They had two at the pawn shop, an Eskimo and a Jiffy. The Jiffy cost a little more, but from what I had heard, I figured a little more would be worth it.

I found an instruction manual that breaks it down into individual parts. I don't think it mentioned what weight gear lube to use. I'm not much of a mechanic. I'm not sure I wouldn't make things worse if I tore into it.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply, but I think you are giving me great info to get the engine running well, which it already does. It will start right up, and idle just fine. The noise it makes happens when the rpm's get just above idle, when the drill should start turning. Instead of the drill starting to turn slowly, the rpm's increase until the drill kind of pops and then starts turning. Almost like popping the clutch in a car. I'm not familiar enough to know if it's a clutch issue, or something else. I take it from the reply's though, that this is not normal for a Jiffy auger.
[signature]
I've heard only good things about Jiffy. I definitely mixed the ratio right. Thanks though.
[signature]
Your answer sounds the closest to what I think I've got. I have turned the auger by hand and it moves freely. I'll need to do it again to make sure I have gone a full revolution though. I'm guessing though (and I'm no mechanic) that it wouldn't turn so well once it gets turning with the motor if that was the issue. It turns smooth once you add throttle and get past the initial roughness. It seems to me that you nailed it with the clutch issue. Only problem with that is that I have no idea what a flyweight/clutch pad is, or how to spray carburetor cleaner into it.
[signature]