Fishing Forum

Full Version: frozen anchovies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am up here in Brigham City. Can any one tell me where I can get frozen anchovies? Smith and Edwards does not have them.
[signature]
Not sure but here in NV they sell em at all walmarts in the fishing section.
[signature]
Are you going to just chum with them or fish with them? You can use carp and chub meat the stripers love them .
[signature]
I was going to use them for catfish bait. I grew up using them and they work awesome.
[signature]
Try Sportmans warehouse in Ogden, I know they sale them at the SLC location.
[signature]
Sportsmans in provo usually has some too but like i said carp and chub work great too. I need to get up there saturday i can look to see if they have any if your not going this wekend.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yes, anchovies WILL work...but not any better than carp meat, minnows or even worms. It is an expensive bait and hard to find in most areas. And when they thaw they are soft and mushy and don't stay on the hook well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a well stocked fish market in your area you might want to look for mackerel. Asian markets often have a couple of different kinds. Like anchovies, mackerel is a strong oily fish and cats almost universally love it. Just slice of pieces as you need them...or fillet it and then chunk it up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another option is to buy anchovy flavored fish scents. You can fish with any kind of cut bait...or even worms...and put on a couple of drops of anchovy oil for flavoring. Sardine flavor works good too. And don't overlook the crawdad oil. Cats always like 'dads.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
My advice for a great fishing trip to powell is to get anchovies and only use them as chum and use the other meats like TD said and use them for bait. Buy a small mesh bag grind some anchovies and put them in the bag and put the bag on the side of your boat and you can either drift fish or find a spot and anchor up you might have to move a few times.Last time i was there we fished the moki wall and we didnt move in 3 days.We caught everything from stripers to cats .Sometimes we couldnt even get the baits to the bottom because the stripers were picking them off .Hope this helps.You can usually find these mesh bags at the dollar store.
[signature]
Exactly what is on clearance?
[signature]
By the way we ended up using only jig heads tipped with meat to catch all our fish.Also do not use blue colored line the fish in Powell can see it as another member of this board finally realized why he wasnt catching fish while 2 other members and myself were slaying them.[:p]
[signature]