Fishing Forum

Full Version: How to correctly hold Trout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well this is probably going to be the most pathetic post of the year but what is the best way of holding a trout to remove a hook or release...

I ask because I have doing less catfishing and been getting into a ton of trout but have yet to figure out the correct and safe *for fish and me* way to hold the fish.

I know you always want to have wet hands and if possible stay in water but I find the slimers to difficult to hold underwater and remove the hook.

Then I was told I should hold it by the jaw with one finger in the mouth... Well that worked swell for the smaller little guys but a couple days ago got a 2 pound rainbow with a spinner, in the process of removing the treble hook the fish closed it's jaw around my finger and started thrashing about harsh.

Lucky for me the treble hook was set deep enough into my skin that the ripping of my finger calmed the trout a bit. Now I have trout bit rips and a nice finger hook rip...

I know that if the fish is bleeding you usually dont want to release it, but does that hold true to rabid shark like foot long trout? never know now that it has a taste for human blood... watch out next time he might be on your line!!!!

Well A.D.D moment over so ya any tip on holding them securely and safely? thanks
[signature]
I just use fish grips there are several dif models out there they all have the same idea although they can be ruff on trout some anglers dont use em. Some people recommend gently holding trout horizontal as oppose to holding vertical like lipin a bass.If you plan on releasing[cool]
[signature]
Yes, hold them horizontally AND inverted (upside down) seems to calm them down for a bit.
[signature]
Are you catching and releasing ?
[signature]
i do the finger in the ribs thing for trout, or hold them upside down horizontally, both of which cripple the trout momentarily. in my opinion holding them by the jaw with a lip gripper or your hand places stress on the internal organs and can result in death, just my opinion
[signature]
if you are keeping them, what does it matter?

If releasing -- the main thing is to just use some common sense. Don't squeeze it by the eyeballs. Don't squeeze it's guts out. Don't pull it's guts out. Don't stick your finger in its gills. Don't stick your finger down it's throat. Don't stick your finger in its......well, you get the idea.

If it's bleeding from the gills, it's dead. Even if it swims off and appears to be OK -- it's dead.
[signature]
FEED ME SEYMORE!

Ouch. Just remember, if you land a Musky, or Walleye - don't try sticking fingers in their mouths either!
Upside down - yes. Wet, yes. Squeeze, no.
Blood from the gut or gills, bad. Bit of blood from a ripped lip - or your own finger - shouldn't be a problem - for the fish anyway.
I've heard questionable reports on some of those lip-grippers. Suggestions that they could apply too much pressure and damage the fish's jaw. I've never used one, so...

Koch - I see you've got a new Avatar. Wanted to be sure EVERYONE gets a good look at your big deck eh? Impressive!
yea i trimmed the shrubs back, makes my deck look huge!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are a lot of personal preferences. Not all right. Not all wrong. The size of the fish can make a difference. Big trout are strong and hard to hold. They also should not be held up by the gills or vertical. Stress on the internal organs. Of course, as has been pointed out, if you are going to keep them it just don't matter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Howsomever, if you plan to release a trout you should start by subduing it as quickly as possible to reduce the buildup of stress chemicals in the flesh. Also, use a rubberized or smooth finish nylon net. Trout are prone to rolling and thrashing once netted and a rough nylon net removes scales and protective slime from their skin. Not good for the long term survival. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lip grippers are not recommended for trout. They have fragile lower jaws and when they flop and roll they can tear themselves apart on a lip gripper. This is especially true of kokanee.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Best bet is to gently net them and keep them in the water. Use a good pair of longnose pliers or hemostats to quickly grip the hook and gently back it out...don't rip it. Then, if you need a picture, grasp it gently around the tail "peduncle" and hold it under the belly for the quick picture. Then lay it gently in the water and hold the tail area while working the fish back and forth in the water to force water through the gills. When the fish is ready to go you will feel the strength in the tail and you can let it swim.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When using bait...or even flies...trout will sometimes gulp it past the area where it is easily reached for removal without damage to the fish. Cut the line and forfeit the hook or fly. Maybe the fish will still succumb but if you tear out its guts to recover your hook it is almost a sure bet the fish is a goner.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is possible to hold a trout firmly without squeezing too hard and damaging internal organs. But if the fish struggles too hard and slips loose, and bounces off the ground or the boat, you might as well keep it. Again, removing scales and slime from the skin opens it up to infections and disease. And the bruising and damage to the fish are not visible but will usually take a fatal toll within hours or days.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Trout are wimps.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I just can't help it. Tubedude's posts are pretty long-winded. I took the liberty and went ahead and removed all the "fluff" from his post and left the relevant stuff.
You're welcome.

[quote Tubedude]
...[#000000]They also should not be held up by the gills ...[/#000000][#000000]subduing it as quickly as possible... [/#000000][#000000]Lip grippers are not recommended for trout.... [/#000000][#000000] Use a good pair of longnose pliers or hemostats ...[/#000000][#000000] Cut the line and forfeit the hook or fly [if deeply hooked]... [/#000000][#000000]It is possible to hold a trout firmly without squeezing too hard[/#000000][#0000ff] [/#0000ff][/quote]

crap, or get off the pot!
[signature]
I didn't realize we needed Cliffnotes for TubeDude's post[:/]. Are you going to do this for all his post from now on?[laugh]
[signature]
I agree. TubeDude's posts are generally long winded. But they are always full of very useful information, and usually a chuckle or 2 [bobhappy]
[signature]
I know what you are saying. Some trout are just way more slippery than others. I have no idea, but maybe PBH or someone else with the background knows.

Larry Tullis always sticks his thumb in their mouth and holds the tail. I don't have delicate hands but I am just not getting that as they do have teeth. Tiny little sharp teeth[laugh]
But it works for him.

I would think the same for the lip grippers as long as you can support the tail or middle of bigger fish. I have been thinking more about them for two reasons.
1. because like I mentioned, some trout are unbelievably slippery
2. The less you touch the fish with hand, glove, net, whatever, the better

Also barbless hooks.
[signature]
I agree that Pat's posts are long, but they are full of info and there is little "fluff" in them at all. I think it would be best if the readers were to read and take out what they think is important.

Shawn M
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Lighten up guys. All in fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I take no offense. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
A lot of good information has been given, but I am always ready to stick my oar in the water too!

One thing I would add that I have learned is that, if you are going to take a picture, make sure that where ever you have the fish that the surface is wet. Just as you wet your hands to handle the fish don't put it down on any dry surface.

I try to get pictures of larger fish in the net, in the water, or on a wet float tube apron. Smaller fish I will usually hold by the shoulders or belly area. Make sure that where ever you hold them that it is over water so that when they wiggle out of your hands, (and they will!) they fall back in the water not on rocks. If you want a picture on land then try wet grass, in a boat use a wet shirt or towel if possible.

I don't usually stick my fingers in a trout's mouth, at least not any larger than 6 inches. Call me a pansy, but those teeth are wicked little buggers, and it seems the scratches always turn nasty!

To remove my fly -- if it is close and easy to grab I do so with my fingers, if it is further into the mouth or Tongue I use my forceps. I take the fly out many times without ever removing the fish from the water or the net. Sometimes a little more handling is needed, but the least handling possible is the best.

As far as the length of anyone's post, I feel that the more exact and complete an answer, then the better information is conveyed to a majority of the readers. Besides they are entertaining and everyone is different and has different learning styles. Everyones posts are good and I have learned a lot from all of you!

I am long winded too!!!
[signature]
(maybe this should be a new thread) What's the consensus on leaving a hook in a deeply hooked fish? Is it likely the fish will "dissolve" the hook eventually and live happily ever after? Is one hook metal better? Are catfish more likely to "dissolve" a hook than trout?

A few years ago my uncle & I fished Strawberry with a guide and used bait. The guide cut off a number of slot cutthroats and said they would eventually reject the hook. I was a bit surprised.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are likely to be different opinions on this question. Here are my observations, from past study and personal experience.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First, as I already mentioned, a fish will definitely have a higher percentage of survival potential if you cut the hook off and release it than it will if you rassle with it for a half hour and eventually tear the hook out. The trauma and stress of the forced removal alone will likely result in the fish being belly up when you put it in the water. Even if it swims away it will likely die later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Do fish "eliminate" hooks left in them? Sometimes. But it is more common for the hooks to disengage from the fish eventually and to be passed out of the digestive system than to "dissolve" inside the fish. I have caught quite a few fish over the years with hooks protruding from the rear orifice and leader going up into the cavity. But, I have also caught quite a few fish with bits of leader protruding from the mouth. That indicates that somebody DID cut them off and that they survived well enough to continue living and feeding.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have to say that of all the fish that I have kept and filleted there have been very few with hooks embedded in the throat or stomach. Any hooks left in the fish I have caught have either passed through or have otherwise been "processed". And almost all the hooks I have observed still inside a fish have been either recently cut off or were very good hooks that resisted "dissolving". No evidence of a fishes' strong digestive juices breaking down the metal of the hooks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That being said, it is widely promoted that using basic steel or bronze finish hooks will be better for the fish if you have to leave them inside a fish. Using stainless steel or anodized hooks adds a barrier to the steel that slows down or prevents the hooks from breaking down within a short time. But, again, most hooks eventually pass through the system if the fish survives the initial trauma.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also have observed that some fish are able to dislodge the hooks (and attached bait) and barf them back up. That happens often with the catfish I put in my basket...after cutting off a swallowed hook. When I dump the fish out into my cooler there is sometimes a chunk of bait with a hook in it laying in the bottom of the basket. It was solidly hooked inside the gullet or stomach when I cut off the line, but the fish was able to dislodge and disgorge it by itself. I do not fish bait for trout or keep ones with hooks in their innards so I have no standard of comparison with that species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't recall catching more than a couple of catfish over the years that had hooks in their innards. But, I have caught a few that had lures or hooks still solidly attached to their lips...and had broken off from other anglers. As most who have caught kitties will attest, they have tough skin around their mouths and hook removal can be difficult.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Are you going to do this for all his post from now on?[Image: laugh.gif][/quote]

No. I enjoy reading -- really I do. I love novels. But I can't sit and read all of Tubedude's posts and attempt to condense them all. Heck, I can't even keep up with just this thread -- let alone all of them!

Some of us (Tubedude, Myself) just like to hear the sound of our own keyboards typing away, and thus our posts get a bit long....

[quote MarineSpear] I find the slimers too difficult to hold underwater and remove the hook. [/quote]

[quote flygoddess]I know what you are saying. Some trout are just way more slippery than others. I have no idea, but maybe PBH or someone else with the background knows.
[/quote]

Get yourself a pair of ragg wool gloves. When grabbing fish (trout, or any other fish) the wool acts something like velcro on the fish. They don't slip out of your hands.

Wool has another great quality -- it will retain heat when wet. So, even when they get wet they can still keep your hands warm.
[Image: Cropped.jpg]

[Image: 78450002.jpg]

[Image: Scan10006.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks...I do have some....somewhere[laugh]
[signature]