Fishing Forum

Full Version: sycle hooks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been seeing and reading of sickle hooks here on the forum. You have got my attention now I need to know more. What makes this style hook better or more desirable than what we normally see and use? If there is an advantage to using them I'm all for it.

Thanks, R2U2
[signature]
Do you mean circle hooks?
If so, they will often cause the fish to hook itself in the mouth rather than down the throat.
You don't have to use a hard hook set on the fish either.

I like them for catfish.
[signature]
I am sure that someone else will chime in here that knows much more than me on this but,

I love em. They are thin and require less force to hook up. They start to hook when they contact and they have the bend in the bottom that holds even the biggest fish on. I know quite a few on here that love em as well, TD included.

Shawn
[signature]
I think he means the Matzuo Sickle hooks with the bend:

Link:
[url "http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1R2GGLL_enUS342&biw=1339&bih=567&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=matzuo+sickle+hooks&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai"]http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1R2GGLL_enUS342&biw=1339&bih=567&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=matzuo+sickle+hooks&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai[/url]=
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have been using the Matzuo sickle hooks almost exclusively for the jigs I make for several years. They are as sharp as any hook you can buy, right out of the package...and are not any more expensive than Eagle Claws or Mustads in the same sizes. Here is a pic of some minnow head jigs using the sickle hooks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "MINNOW HEADS GLITTER.jpg"]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The wire on the hooks is thinner than some jig hooks but the unique bend in the hook makes them as strong as you need to land big fish. I have never had a large fish straighten one of them out. But, if you get rough with the pliers in trying to remove one from a fish you can bend them out of shape easily.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The barb on these hooks is smaller than on most other hooks. Not quite barbless. But enough to hold fish on the hook while being easier to remove them for less damage to fish you want to release.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The points on these hooks are so sharp that I "lose weight" every time I pour a new batch of jigs...or when I am sorting through them. The reach out and bite. That makes them a good choice for fishing when the fish are biting light. They get the point of the hook on the strike and you just snap your wrist to finish the hookset. Great for fishing under bobbers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I buy mine from Cabelas or Barlows but they are now available through other sources. An interesting endorsement is that Patrick Barlow...of Barlows Tackle...has also decided that the Matzuos are his hook of choice and all of his jigs and lures have them on all his trips around the country.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I didnt know what they were called but I can testify to the sharpness of the Hooks TD uses for his jigs. They will jump up and bite you as you sort through your jig box.
[signature]
Thanks a bunch guys. I will start looking to see if I can find the style of jig I like with the right size hook. Your help is appreciated.

R2U2
[signature]