Fishing Forum

Full Version: Ice Anchors?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So... I just got a new QuickFish4 (pretty excited to use it) and I am wondering how these ice anchors work. Do they self-tap themselves in by hand, do I need to bring out a cordless drill for pilot holes, or how do they screw into the ice. Thanks for any input. Did I mention I am pretty excited to take this thing out tomorrow???
[signature]
The anchors are self tapping and work well by hand, I have a Frabill and a Quick fish 3 and I prefer the QF anchors over the Frabill. Just jab them into the ice and turn with a little down ward pressure.
[signature]
There are various different kinds I'm assuming the ones you have are screw in. I screw them in by hand. I have heard and seen people drill pilot holes with a drill, I've also seen people weld on a spot so they could drill the ice screw in.

I think it is easy enough to just screw them in by hand. Put a little downard pressure on at first to get them going. I also jam the ice screw like a nail in one spot 4-5 times real hard kind of the same idea as a pilot. Gets it going better.

The best screws are narrow at the bottom and then gradually get bigger. They are thick too - the small ones don't seem to work nearly as good. Just my experiences.

It can help to buy extras they are pretty easy to lose in the snow... plus having extras for tie offs into the wind really help secure a guys shanty. I always tie off in all 4 directions.
[signature]
Like WyomingMoose said, be careful, they really disappear in a hurry in the snow.

As far as using the anchors themselves to chip a pilot hole, I wouldn't do that. If yours are like the anchors I got with my QF3 last year, the tips are very fragile. We've broken a couple just with the downward pressure just while screwing them in. They tap in just fine with out pounding or massive pressure.

I was at Sportsmans a couple days ago and saw the new QF4. I'm jealous. Those are pretty cool!
[signature]
Thanks for the replies... my shelter came with 8 pretty hefty (eskimo) screw-in anchors, and tie downs. I will be trying them tomorrow.
[signature]
Ya, I am pretty stoked to use it. I actually bought the QF3 about 3 weeks ago with my wife (my x-mas present) and she said I couldn't use it until christmas. I looked at the QF4 then, but the QF3 was on sale for 149.99, where as the QF4 was 249.99. I just couldn't justify the extra 100. Well..... I went in there today and found it on sale for 219.99. So, with a little convincing, I took back the unused QF3, and paid the difference for the QF4. It's way taller than necessary, but pretty nice inside (had to setmine up in the yard, even though I just walked in the model at Sportsman's[Smile]). Also, it has a new design of a "cold air barrier" on the top, which is supposed to keep warm air in and cold air out, as well as reduce condensation.
I'm kinda excited if you can't tell...[laugh]
[signature]
Yeah, I'm wishing I could still trade mine back in. Oh well, maybe they'll come out with something even cooler next year (when I'm done with college tuition for my youngest)
[signature]
That will be a very nice shelter for you. I use a four-man Shappell. The ice anchors are self-tapping. Not a big deal to put them in by hand but it is much faster if you bring along a cordless drill and drill some pilot holes. Comes in very handy at those times when you want the shelter up fast. Which for me is most of the time. Less time spent setting up means more time fishing in comfort.

[fishin] [cool]
[signature]
They are nice the quickfish series. You can get better shantys but they are heavier, more expensive and take up more space.

The quickfish shantys are cheap I think but the value is actually pretty good. I've abused mine for 3 years now and it is still in solid working order.

Other shantys have better insulation and might last a little longer in the long run but these do hold up pretty well for the price. I don't think I'll ever upgrade to a higher dollar shanty when these will do. A heater to go with and you are set.

You can bust the rods in heavy heavy wind if you don't have the sides tied down 4-5 feet out from the shanty.
[signature]
I just purchased a quick fish 6 and really like it. The only down side, Eskimo seems to have gone cheap on the guy lines. They provided three 6' shoelaces to anchor that giant kite down. I modified...I went to Kirkham's and had them bar tack (stitch) six 7' lengths of nylon webbing with a six inch loop at the end. I got six quick attach ladder locks and hooked them on the existing webbing loops. now I have fast adjusting, strong lines to anchor my new tent. I can post a couple of pics if you want to see the improvement. Total cost $16 hope this helps someone.
[signature]
sent me some pics when you get a chance, i have a qf6 also and want to get better lines...
Thanks
[signature]