Fishing Forum

Full Version: Marcum Showdown feedback?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been researching different flashers and the latest technology because I will soon buy one. Has anyone tried or heard anything about the newest Showdown?
[signature]
They are both really good flashers. I personally have used both in the past and now strictly use the Showdown. I like how easy it is to use, the display is simple and easy to read, and the half inch seperation helps me with bottom dwelling walleye. For most fisherman...and most applications....either will suffice. I have a video on my website as well as Youtube discussing the Showdown Fishfinder.....I think you would be very happy.

Chad Miller
ChadMillerFishing
[signature]
This link has some information on it. As quickly as they upgrade these days they are likely on a newer version of software than when I had my unit:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=626794;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]Link[/url]
[signature]
I bought a Showdown in 2009 and it was the one with the 3.2 software. I really like the unit and it's features. I've never owned a flasher and I don't like the way they show the various targets. It's probably just personal preference, but I think the Showdown's vertical LCD is quicker to find fish and the target separation is easily seen on the screen. I just sent my unit back to Marcum in Minnesota for the software upgrade which was $49.95. I got the unit back in just seven days. I'm looking forward to getting out soon, probably Wednesday to Mill Meadow.
[Image: IMG_0192-1.jpg]

Mike
[signature]
I am planning on buying a flasher, I've been leaning towards the Humminbird 45 but haven't made up my mind yet. Cabelas has two Marcum showdowns, one $200, and one for $400. Is the newer one worth the additional $200? And are they as sensitive as a traditional flasher.
[signature]
I have the Showdown and LOVE IT.
[signature]
The newer one is actually the $200 one which is much small and doesn't have near the power that the larger one does. I just bought the larger one a couple weeks ago after looking at both of them. I had the luxury of fishing with buddies that had flashers for a couple years before fishing with my buddy Chad after he got his showdown last year and in my mind I was sold on the Showdown and bought one. Just need to get it in the water now.[Wink]
[signature]
I just bought a big showdown from cabelas last week but have not used it yet. If you go to cabelas tell them you want to match prices with sportsmans and bass proshop because it will save you 50 bucks. just fyi
[signature]
After hearing all the reviews, researching and reading everyone's feedback here, I went and purchased a 5.6 showdown. I'm very eager to try it out this weekend due to all the good things said about it. Thanks for all the input. I'll let ya know how it goes. [Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I bought one of the earlier models...the 3.1. Hated it and returned it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since then I have kept track of the changes and upgrades and have been watching it on the TV ice fishing shows and reading reviews on the new models. Impressive. I just bought one of the 5.6 models but have not had a chance to put it to the test yet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In a nutshell...according to all the reviews it is like Sara Lee...nobody doesn't like it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There will always be fans of the flashers and the LCD sonars. It's a matter of personal opinion and personal choice. And we tend to stick with what we know and are most comfortable with. So be it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I hope you didn't make a big ass mistake. Just to make sure I need you to head up to the gorge and fish with me. Lx-5 against your new showdown. I'll even let ya stay here at the house during your trip. And take ya to the hot Burbot spots!
[signature]
Well ho ho ho, Santa left a Showdown 5.6 under the tree! It's still in the box!

So there are quite a few of us that now need a showdown with our Showdowns!

I think a Starvation perch / walleye hunt is in order in a few weeks don't you?
[signature]
Starvation as soon as there is safe ice. Could be pretty soon with the forecast temperatures headed this way.

I took my Showdown with it's recently upgraded 5.6 software to Mill Meadow today. I liked the unit before the upgrade and it's better now. I really like the feature that allows you to zoom in on any 1 foot increment in the water column. I set it today for the 12 to 17 foot range while fishing in 15 feet of water. I could see the perch as soon as they came off the bottom and had about an inch of separation.

I can't wait to use it in deeper water like at Starvy or the Gorge. See you guys on the ice.

Mike
[signature]