Fishing Forum
Fishlake vs joes valley Splake ? - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Fishlake vs joes valley Splake ? (/showthread.php?tid=805274)

Fishlake vs joes valley Splake ? - tl23life - 03-13-2013

Fishlake Splake or joes valley Splake I'm interested to see which place you guys think is better for Splake I've heard people say fishlake is better for a lot of catching but there littler and joes valley for bigger ones!!! But I no fishlake has monster Splake hell all the state record Splake have always been from fishlake angler records! I'm big on fishing for Splake I always do at fishlake never tried joes though everyone lets see what you guys think is better Splake place?
[signature]

Re: [tl23life] Fishlake vs joes valley Splake ? - whipper-snapper - 03-13-2013

I can't speak for Joe's, but I can for Fish Lake[cool].

First of all, FL is my favorite large body lake in the state--so I'm probably a little biased. But this ice season the Splake are slightly smaller (on average) compared to years past. Yes, the state record was caught there and a friend of mine caught a 6 pounder in 18 FOW back in January.

Maybe it's because the areas I'm used to fishing are harboring smaller fish this season?

I'm heading down there tomorrow (Thurs-Fri) to give the ice one last hoorah for the season. I'll let ya know the size of the Splake we catch.

[signature]

Re: [whipper-snapper] Fishlake vs joes valley Splake ? - tl23life - 03-13-2013

Thanks man I love it to I always go with a big group right when the melts usually beginning of may and we shore fish at night and just catch Splake non stop it's a blast and also they taste great a guy I no has cought a 14lb Splake by joes bush !!!!! Also couple years back my grandpa cought a 12lb Splake at mill meadows which is close to fishlake right at the inlet I just love it down there !!!!!! Let me no how you do good luck
[signature]

Re: [tl23life] Fishlake vs joes valley Splake ? - wormandbobber - 03-13-2013

If you want bigger splake, Joes Valley is the place to go.

The number of really big splake and trophy splake in Fish Lake has really dropped off the past 5-7 years. The bottleneck at Fish Lake is getting tighter and tighter and fewer and fewer fish--both splake and lake trout--are getting through this bottleneck and converting to an all-fish diet and growing to those monster sizes. This is probably a result of increased perch numbers, fewer chubs, and more small lake trout.

Also, FWIW, I do know of a splake landed from a different water that would have been a state record had it been weighed immediately after it was caught and turned in as one. This fish weighed just over 16 pounds 4 days after it had been caught and was just short of the state record. Also, a different water in the state could be pumping out some monster splake here in the near future. I have personally seen at least one over 10 pounds and several others in the 7-8 pound range...

....here are a couple pics of big splake. The first one is from the unnamed water I mentioned above and the second is from Joes Valley.
[signature]

Re: [tl23life] Fishlake vs joes valley Splake ? - Coldfooter - 03-13-2013

Its worth noting that a menber of BFT, Fuzz, holds the Ut. state record catch and release record Splake. It was caught at JV.
[signature]

Re: [wormandbobber] Fishlake vs joes valley Splake ? - tl23life - 03-13-2013

Pm that secert water and I'll keep it a secert to (; but anyways I no fishlake still has some big boys in it it's just finding them every year in may well get a big one hooked sometime not landed but fish on east side of like do pretty good
[signature]

Re: [wormandbobber] Fishlake vs joes valley Splake ? - brookieguy1 - 03-14-2013

[quote wormandbobber]If you want bigger splake, Joes Valley is the place to go.

The number of really big splake and trophy splake in Fish Lake has really dropped off the past 5-7 years. The bottleneck at Fish Lake is getting tighter and tighter and fewer and fewer fish--both splake and lake trout--are getting through this bottleneck and converting to an all-fish diet and growing to those monster sizes. This is probably a result of increased perch numbers, fewer chubs, and more small lake trout.

Also, FWIW, I do know of a splake landed from a different water that would have been a state record had it been weighed immediately after it was caught and turned in as one. This fish weighed just over 16 pounds 4 days after it had been caught and was just short of the state record. Also, a different water in the state could be pumping out some monster splake here in the near future. I have personally seen at least one over 10 pounds and several others in the 7-8 pound range...

....here are a couple pics of big splake. The first one is from the unnamed water I mentioned above and the second is from Joes Valley.[/quote]Nice! Love those high-altitude splake.
[signature]