Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishlake vs joes valley Splake ?
Fishlake Splake or joes valley Splake I'm interested to see which place you guys think is better for Splake I've heard people say fishlake is better for a lot of catching but there littler and joes valley for bigger ones!!! But I no fishlake has monster Splake hell all the state record Splake have always been from fishlake angler records! I'm big on fishing for Splake I always do at fishlake never tried joes though everyone lets see what you guys think is better Splake place?
[signature]
I can't speak for Joe's, but I can for Fish Lake[cool].

First of all, FL is my favorite large body lake in the state--so I'm probably a little biased. But this ice season the Splake are slightly smaller (on average) compared to years past. Yes, the state record was caught there and a friend of mine caught a 6 pounder in 18 FOW back in January.

Maybe it's because the areas I'm used to fishing are harboring smaller fish this season?

I'm heading down there tomorrow (Thurs-Fri) to give the ice one last hoorah for the season. I'll let ya know the size of the Splake we catch.

[signature]
Thanks man I love it to I always go with a big group right when the melts usually beginning of may and we shore fish at night and just catch Splake non stop it's a blast and also they taste great a guy I no has cought a 14lb Splake by joes bush !!!!! Also couple years back my grandpa cought a 12lb Splake at mill meadows which is close to fishlake right at the inlet I just love it down there !!!!!! Let me no how you do good luck
[signature]
If you want bigger splake, Joes Valley is the place to go.

The number of really big splake and trophy splake in Fish Lake has really dropped off the past 5-7 years. The bottleneck at Fish Lake is getting tighter and tighter and fewer and fewer fish--both splake and lake trout--are getting through this bottleneck and converting to an all-fish diet and growing to those monster sizes. This is probably a result of increased perch numbers, fewer chubs, and more small lake trout.

Also, FWIW, I do know of a splake landed from a different water that would have been a state record had it been weighed immediately after it was caught and turned in as one. This fish weighed just over 16 pounds 4 days after it had been caught and was just short of the state record. Also, a different water in the state could be pumping out some monster splake here in the near future. I have personally seen at least one over 10 pounds and several others in the 7-8 pound range...

....here are a couple pics of big splake. The first one is from the unnamed water I mentioned above and the second is from Joes Valley.
[signature]
Its worth noting that a menber of BFT, Fuzz, holds the Ut. state record catch and release record Splake. It was caught at JV.
[signature]
Pm that secert water and I'll keep it a secert to (; but anyways I no fishlake still has some big boys in it it's just finding them every year in may well get a big one hooked sometime not landed but fish on east side of like do pretty good
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]If you want bigger splake, Joes Valley is the place to go.

The number of really big splake and trophy splake in Fish Lake has really dropped off the past 5-7 years. The bottleneck at Fish Lake is getting tighter and tighter and fewer and fewer fish--both splake and lake trout--are getting through this bottleneck and converting to an all-fish diet and growing to those monster sizes. This is probably a result of increased perch numbers, fewer chubs, and more small lake trout.

Also, FWIW, I do know of a splake landed from a different water that would have been a state record had it been weighed immediately after it was caught and turned in as one. This fish weighed just over 16 pounds 4 days after it had been caught and was just short of the state record. Also, a different water in the state could be pumping out some monster splake here in the near future. I have personally seen at least one over 10 pounds and several others in the 7-8 pound range...

....here are a couple pics of big splake. The first one is from the unnamed water I mentioned above and the second is from Joes Valley.[/quote]Nice! Love those high-altitude splake.
[signature]