Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Rockport report
Ive been sitting on my backside too much so I decided to make a solo trip to Rockport Friday. Started with a -13 degrees at 7:00 A.M but the skies were clear with hopes of sunshine. Started in 41 feet of water marking fish on the bottom and at 12-20 feet. I got my perch set up on the bottom and one set up at 15 . Fished for an hour with not a single hit. Moved deeper with same result, fish on the graph but no takers. Went shallower to 30 feet same deal. Ended up with one rainbow about 13 inches and 1 perch the was 10.5 inches. Sun was bright and temp warmed to a balmy 10 degrees by the time I left a little after 1:00. Fishing was slow but it beat whatever else I was going to do. The ice and edges were plenty good but the foot of new snow with a slush layer below the snow made moving a bit of a pain at least for me. I did see snow machines out and tracks from a 4 wheeler.
[signature]
We were there Friday also, with similar results.
But did see deer and elk on the way home. Some right across the road from the lake, and a herd with some nice bulls below Echo dam.
Cold, but beautiful day!
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Same experience we had Thursday. Even though conditions are much worse at Pineview, at least the fish are biting! Crappies are calling. It's time to shun the Rockport!
[signature]
I saw your report I am not sure I want to tackle 20 inches of snow and slush I aint gettin any younger and that sounds like a workout even if you dont too far out.
[signature]
I totally understand! I'm 65, short, and getting way too fat and out of shape, myself! My friend went around to Browning Point yesterday/last night. He said if you stay of other peoples trails, it wasn't too bad, but if you got off of them, it was a real mess! He did catch a limit, however, and that would be a nice change! I think we will head over there Monday afternoon/evening, when the temps get better. He about froze to death last night!
[signature]
Just joined recently and went to Rockport this morning.

I can't help with perch but the trout fishing was a pretty intense bite from 645 to 11 and then again at 1pm-3pm.

lost a bunch just at the hole or inside the dang hole (probably all tagged fish anyway).

worm with marshmallow, small glow jigs tipped with worm, butterworm, or mealworm all seemed to work.
some garlic and salmon egg scented powerbait were getting hit in the morning.

just fun finally catching........
appeared that fishing was pretty good all around as far as I could tell.
[signature]
Were you fishing on the west side? How deep was the water. I did use wax worms and nightcrawlers. The 1 trout I caught was on a small jig.
[signature]
East side. Twin coves. 18 to 15 FOW. Just off bottom to 10' below ice. Lots of strikes when letting jigs fall. And after moving jig after no bites for a bit. Butterworms were preferred it seemed. Yesterday anyway. Fished from 80 yards to about 175 from shore. We we're the only ones out that far.
[signature]
I hit Rockport Sat. a.m. with a larger group of young and old guys (big green flag flying high by my tent), I guess closer to the south west corner of the pond, in about 18 FOW....Quite a few others in the area, but I'd done very good here last week Fri. also....we did good today, not great, but all had a good time, some catching their first fish through the ice....about 5 of us caught limits, and did some releases, and some caught just 1 or 2, and some caught 0....those that got further away from 'the group' did much better....Nothing big today, all 11 to 12"ers....Good to get out, even in the cold...saw deer, elk, and 4 moose today...Guluk...
[signature]
the kid and i had the same slow results on the west side where we bagged out at noon last sunday. on the bright side the wife came with for the first time ever. despite few fish, fantastic family outing for us
[signature]