Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self-inflating life jacket works -- a little too well
I found this inside of my Armada this morning. Apparently, they don't like the extreme heat of the inside of a vehicle in the hot sun. Has anyone else experienced this before?
[inline "Life jacket.jpg"]
[signature]
Wow ..... I guess I will have to start storing mine in the garage. I have one with the pull tab but if it's heat related, it would probably do the same thing.
[signature]
I had one go off like that, it was left in my boat with all the plastic up and in direct sun. I only hope it works as well if I ever fall in!
[signature]
That's one reason why I bought a manual model,
[signature]
My auto PFD's are a Bas Pro model and as memory serves the only downside from the people that had put in a produce review was what you experienced. Auto deploy in extreme heat. I pull mine from the boat for just that reason. Bummer!
[signature]
I have had a similar experience with mine in the past. I think temp changes caused mine to self inflate because of condensation in the storag bag. Since then I have not used the bag. No problems since
[signature]
Here I thought that you had been swimming in one of our lakes !! Glad it was only a heat related malfunction, a tad expensive, but still a malfunction. I'll need to store mine in a cool place. Wonder if it will do that while wearing it on a hot summer day ???
Remember, if your PFD gets too hot, you can simply dunk it in the lake...

Smirk, giggle, chortle.
[signature]
Had one go off in a rod locker on a hot day. Have never had one deploy while wearing it in the heat.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]Remember, if your PFD gets too hot, you can simply dunk it in the lake...[/quote]

Oh Rocky, LOL ....
[signature]
You guys have got me Confused now.[shocked][:/]

I have owned 3 inflatable life vest now.

I had one, a manual, that was inflated by pulling a pull tab or mouth inflatable. It was a Sportsman's Warehouse model.

I had two that were self inflating, or pull tab or mouth inflatable that were Bass Pro Shops brand.

I stored them in the front storage locker of my 18' Lund for years, including my time in Louisiana where the temperatures make Utah seem downright cold.

I have never had one self inflate, but I did house my boat in a garage when not in use so I assume that it was protected from a greenhouse effect that would have happened if it had been stored outside.

Rocky, go ahead, dunk the self inflatable in water to cool it. It will not self inflate until it has water pressure equal to a specific depth. I remember it as 3 feet. I have had them on and been soaked to the bone in the Louisiana frog chocker rains.

I suspect that what is happening is that the pressure inside the cartridges is getting high due to the greenhouse effect of being inside of bags, closed spaces, etc, exposed to direct sun, etc,. etc.

One thing is for sure, to read these post you would think that the Coast Guard screwed up when they certified them. Can't be user error for sure.[pirate] LOL

[fishin]
[signature]
Leaving any compressed gas cylinder in a hot area is really not a good idea. Most pressurized tanks have a "burst valve" or a maximum pressure they can withstand before the safety mechanism releases the pressure in the bottle (the small foil part at the end of this type of tank that usually is punctured). If you're going to leave a pressurized tank in a hot place I would suggest that you keep it covered, or in some sort of compartment that will keep the sun off of them. I use a duffel bag with a towel in it for mine and have never had a problem, and then i have a towel to wipe off with if i end up falling in.
[signature]
Have had 2 auto inflating Cabela's brand, this is 3rd season now. Keep them strapped to the back of the seats in the boat, and this summer will be the first summer I have been able to store the boat in-doors out of direct sunlight. I replace the cylinder and bobbin at start of every season, and have had the boat and PFD's out in direct hot sun for several hours at several places. Never had one "self inflate" without being wet. The info I read on mine says the self inflation is cause when the bobbin between the cylinder and the vest becomes wet enough to dissolve the bobbin material, and is designed to dissolve really only when totally immersed in water for 15 to 30 seconds.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I have done the same things you have described for about 5 years without ever having mine self inflating. This is the first time I have left mine in an enclosed vehicle for several days. Apparently, the temperature gets high enough in an enclosed vehicle, during the summer, that the tank will release. An enclosed vehicle gets much hotter than a boat enclosed by a boat cover.
[signature]