Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
downrigger reels
I like a reel with a clicker for lowering the down rigger weight. The problem is not may reels have clickers on them any more.
I was wondering what works well for other members.
[signature]
Sheels sells a Okuma that can clicker or be silent.
[signature]
If you're looking for a good value, I have had good luck with my Okuma Convector reels. I don't like the Okuma Magda line, but I know they're popular due to their low price.
[signature]
here is one a Okuma clod water CW 153D it is a line counter
$85.37
[signature]
I have numerous different reels with a clicker. Some with a line counter some without. Abu Garcia makes several in the AmbasSador line. I think the cheapest version starts about $59 (I have one of these and its serviceable especially for the price) with other more expensive yet improved options. Tica makes a nice little reel that has a clicker. I have 2 of them and quite like them. Sportsmans has had some of these on clearance lately for a pretty sweet price. My favorite ones so far have been the Okuma cold water series. I have 4 of these including a new version of this series that has the thumb button release rather than the lever release. There are many more out there besides just these Ive mentioned. A trip to Scheels, Sportsmans, Cabelas or Anglers Den and you should be able to check out several options.
[signature]
I only use line-counter trolling reels because I want to know exactly how far back my lures are. Also, they hold a lot more line, which will be needed if I get a big fish on and it decides to run.The best line-counter reel is the Shimano Tekota Levelwind. This line-counter reel is not cheap, but should last for years of fishing. Okuma also makes a cheaper line-counter that I like, The Okuma Cold Water Linecounter.
[signature]
For trolling, I use DAIWA Accudepth ICV 25W DIGITAL LINE COUNTER REEL SOLAR BATTERY #ADICV25W. It's got a digital line counter and lots of features. I've even been using them ice ffishing because I'll see the depth the fish are liking in the water column with my fish finder in one hole and leave a rod there and run around trying the other holes by quickly dropping my lure to the exact same depth using the digital counter. I don't know why they're discontinued. They are among my favorite reels and quality is excellent.
[signature]
Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
I looked yesterday at sportsman's and all of the reels but one that had clickers were large reel like we used to use with lead line. I was hoping for a bit smaller package.
They did have one velocity that fit this bill but??????? That's why I thought I would go to you pros for ideas.
[signature]
Knowing the distance back sounds real good. I know as we let lines out we (I) am always wondering how far back they really are.
Maybe I could stop hauling the pocket full of sticks and tossing one out as I let the line out so I can see where I dropped the line.
[signature]
[quote PACMEN]Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
I looked yesterday at sportsman's and all of the reels but one that had clickers were large reel like we used to use with lead line. I was hoping for a bit smaller package.
They did have one velocity that fit this bill but??????? That's why I thought I would go to you pros for ideas.[/quote]

Daiwa makes line counters with clickers in several different sizes. They're now called SG17LC3B, 27, and 47. I have the 27s, they're hard to beat:

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/s...index.html
[signature]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
Cabelas has the depth master series that is about the cheapest out there. They are $70 for the combo. They have a clicker. I don't love them but I don't hate them either. I have 4 and I haven't had one go bad yet. The rods that come with them are planer board, downrigger, trolling and kokenee. I like the koke rods. I believe the reel is around $60 by itself, so for $10 more you get a specific trolling rod. Not really a recommendation, just more options for you.
[signature]
I absolutely love my Okuma bait feeders in 20 series.
I order them through Walmart for around 40 bucks.
Nice smaller reel, great drags, and has the bait feeder secondary drag built in to lower the ball hands free.
If you live in Riverton you are more than welcome to drop by and check them out.
[signature]
Penn 109 series reels are smaller than the bigger reels like the 209 or 309, or most line counter reels( Cabela's does have a line counter that is for mono/braid). The 109 has a clicker and is a moderately priced reel. Check one out, may fit the bill for you!!
I use the small abu garcia's ambasSadors and they all have clickers. I usually don't have mine line that far out that I need a line counter.
[signature]
Ordering through Walmart do you order on line or at a store?
Never done so with them.
[signature]
Looks like we will be spending some time looking.
I had not found a lot of these reels you guys have mentioned.

Thank You Guys
[signature]
Just order and pay for them online then pick them up in about 3 days.
Thsee reels are spinning reels and are also awesome for catfishing.
[signature]
Velocity Fishing International makes some awesome reels with clickers. I use mostly the Black Ops model but I also have a Recon. They are much nicer than the Ticas and Abu Garcias that I've used. You can get them online or at the Rocky Mountain Tackle shop in Spanish Fork
[signature]
I know it sounds crazy but try wish .com i know that they have them thay attach to ur pole i have tryed some of there stuff and i have liked alot of and check out a shuttle hawk for stackimg on a down rigger it is a frickin must for stackin two poles on one down rigger
[signature]