Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whirling disease -- still a concern?
So with all of the intensity surrounding zebra mussels over the past few years, it seems that whirling disease concerns have taken a back seat. I believe DWR still lists certain bodies of water as contaminated (or infected? not sure the verbiage).

Is this still an issue? So if I want to fish Rockport (contaminated) on one day and Strawberry (not contaminated) on the next, should I take any precautions? I'd prefer to avoid the watercraft decon if possible.
[signature]
I will bump this one to the top so at least others will/can respond.

Now, I won't pretend I can answer this for Utah, but I do have some experience with it.

In Montana, the Big Hole and a lot of the rivers in the area were decimated, but, over time, the Browns, the Cutts, and the surviving Bows, became more tolerant of the disease. The Big Hole, the Jefferson, etc., are as good as before, but the Cutts dominate with the Browns now with the Bows as a by catch.

Idaho and Washington have similar stories.

From what I can tell, the hatchery managers have chosen "strains" of bows now that are resistant to Whirling disease.

But, like Zebra Mussels, Quagga, Gobies, and carp, once it is here, it will always be here.

In the case of Whirling disease, I think the crisis period is, well not over, but on the tail end. But, I would still be careful. You never know what you might transplant by accident, but "you can't live in fear" either.