Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wetter than normal Winter predicted
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...-u-s?sc=tw

Warmer than normal temp wise but wetter than normal precipitation wise for Northern Utah.
Sure hope that does not mean a rainy Winter with no ice but I guess we will see.
[signature]
If there's no snow, it might be my fault. Just bought a new blower.
[signature]
My best guess is that we will have an above normal Winter but not as bad as last Winter. You never know but from living here is Utah since the mid 70's it seems we go through 10 yr cycles in the weather. If the past is any example of what we should experience this year, I'd say we will see slightly more snow than normal. When we get in these wet cycles, we usually get three wet years, followed by normal years of less snow, then some years of drought. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, that you will be able to use your snow blower this Winter Rocky[Wink].
[signature]
It's late fall and the Indians on a remote reservation in Flower Mound asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was a chief in a modern society, Broken Toe Timbo had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.

But, being a practical leader, after several days, he got an idea. He got his Blackberry, called the National Weather Service and asked: "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So Broken Toe Timbo went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later, Broken Toe Timbo called the National Weather Service again. "Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?"

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."

Broken Toe Timbo again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later, Broken Toe Timbo called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied.  "It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we've ever seen."

"How can you be so sure?" Broken Toe Timbo asked. 
The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy!"
[signature]
LOL, good one Ronald,
[signature]
Praying for ice. Snow I can handle, but gotta have Ice!
[signature]
[quote FatBiker]Praying for ice. Snow I can handle, but gotta have Ice![/quote]

[#0000FF]Who says prayers don't get answered. What kind ya want?

[inline ICE.jpg]
[inline "ICE WATER.jpg"]
[inline "ICE BLOCK.jpg"]
[inline SHAVED.jpg]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
We're on pace for a historical drought this winter..............
[signature]
Let's just hope this lack of moisture doesn't continue but time will tell. Historically, I have never seen it go from the amount of snow we got last year, to a drought the next year. If this continues into next month, I'll be getting worried[:/].
[signature]
Its going to be a cold winter. It will snow. Its going to be a hot summer. There will be forest fires. Been that way every single one of the 54 years I've been on this planet, and in North America. Probably won't change anytime soon.

If anybody can predict more accurate than that, I've got a lifetime of free fishing trips to share with you in exchange! Hell, I'll take you fishing for life if you can give me an accurate 3-5 day forecast with certainty.
[signature]
[quote FishingLunatic]We're on pace for a historical drought this winter..............[/quote]

I would enjoy this fifth season of ice fishing for me to be my first time to experience clear ice. I've seen pictures and YouTube videos of it, but never got to be on it to look down to see the fish swimming below.

The clear nights might freeze the water even faster with the radiant heat leaving to the extreme cold of space. I might finally get to walk on clear ice!

Still, regarding our topic of "Wetter than normal," I'm getting very prepared. I'm just now taking a snack break from washing my car and that will include windshield washer fluid and RainX on the windows which I know works very well.

I might use the anti-fog on the inside. Anyone have experience with that?
[signature]
I sure hope so to. We had a good water year last year obviously but the previous several weren't good so it's not like out lakes or streams are super full or high currently. If more snow doesn't come then it's going to be really ugly for tons of bodies of water. The air quality is also going to be absolutely awful if we don't get any storms or not very often.
[signature]
You're definately right right about the increasing heat of the summer and wild fires (80% are caused by humans). As for it being cold, we'll see. I guess if its cold then people can ice fish at least but it still would be more optimal if it was cold AND snowed a lot. Cold doesn't necessarily equal snow unfortunately.
[signature]