Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need advice
How do I catch bass in a small pond in the summer? What do I need and how should I set up ? Any tips to point me in the right direction Is appreciated. What works best for you?
[signature]
Toss dynamite or c4 to the middle and ignite.
[signature]
I used to fish ponds in the summer, always like soft plastics, basic worm with a texas rig would be a good start. THe best way to filter out smaller fish or other species is to go for larger baits, they aren't called largemouth bass for nothing! Except they aren't technically a bass species..
[signature]
Does the color or presentation matter ? How do you use a plastic worm ? What hook size. For large mouth bass
[signature]
Its probably more about your technique than anything. If you can buy the soft plastics one at a time its best, you can experiment until something works. I personally don't think largemouths care much about color or scents unless they're being picky, people like things to rattle but I think its more for aggressive/defensive fish, no idea. Just make it visible and experiment with the retrieval. Usually I use fairly large, kind of wiry hooks with a bend near the top, don't know what they call them but I'd ask for soft plastic or jerkbait hooks. Or use a jig for plastics, they come with lots of different weed guards and ways to hold and present the baits. You can also use slip weights right on top the hook.
If nothings working and the waters cold you might look into finesse fishing.
Any lures could work, crankbaits and top water are fun and could be cheaper in the long run, if you don't loose them. Use strong line with a light hook so you can bend it straight to get out of some snags.
If you go for live bait just know its easy for even tiny fish to swallow large baits so not letting that happen is the goal. If it were me I'd probable use a decent size hook or wide gap with a large shiner under a bobber, hooked under the dorsal fin, or a circle hook with a crawdad on the bottom. Got into bridles early this year going for catfish but didn't have a good season for them, seems like it should work for bass.
[signature]
[quote Bps392600]Does the color or presentation matter ? How do you use a plastic worm ? What hook size. For large mouth bass[/quote]

May I ask how old you are and how much fishing experience you've had?

It seems you know the right questions and asked them in the right way, but it makes me wonder what information you really lack other than going on a fishing expedition.
[signature]