Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordless Drill Auger Question
Hello all!

In anticipation for the hard deck, I thought i'd ask your opinions of the cordless drill auger options out there. Last year I tried using an adapter that fit my old hand auger and was excited to ditch the gas. Unfortunately as I pulled the trigger the auger was all over the place. I never could seem to get the blades to bite and steady itself in one place.

Maybe my blades weren't sharp enough, or I was going at to fast of a speed. My current thought is i need an auger that has a center spike, much like using a hole saw. That K-Drill auger looks cool, but $250!!! ouch!

Love to hear anyones thoughts, experience, or advice. Bring on the ice and lets all be safe out there! Thanks.
[signature]
Just saw the Kdrill yesterday for $200 in Weber County. I have had one for three years now, and I won't use anything else. Hard to beat.
Back when I used the battery drill set up I had a similar problem. Solved it by using a 2 1/2" forstner bit to predrill a hole an inch or 2 deep to give the auger bit something to guide on. Also be sure to hold the rig straight up and down.
With any cordless set up be sure your blades are super sharp. I invested in new blades every year.
[signature]
A long time ago, I tried a low cost sharp muscle powered auger and then knew the reason for power augers.

Later, I bought a Nils auger with thoughts of powering it with a battery powered drill. But, after trying it and seeing and feeling how smooth and easily it cut through the ice with just muscle power, I thought: "Why bother with power?".

In fact, wanting to save the work of carrying extra weight, I think it's better to go lighter weight than having a battery powered drill to carry.

But, if you are going to power an auger with a drill, then design and materials and sharpness is what makes it work and Nils will not need much power to cut through ice.

I looked at the K-Drill, but haven't tried one. But, at it's price, I suspect it is good. I just know that I never want to use an inexpensive manual auger again.

I have a couple that I considered throwing away after I got my Nils, but I'm glad I didn't because I found a good use for them. I have some downrigger rod holders that are very sturdy and I'll remove the blades and modify the cheap augers and add a T-handle and weld on a mount for rod holders. Then that will be my sand spike that doesn't pull out when a big fish hits for my surf fishing coming up.
[signature]
I just got a 8” kdrill this year and used it for the first time last weekend up to Henry’s. I got to say I’m a huge fan. I was a little nervous because I don’t have the recommended Milwaukee fuel battery. But using my Makita 18v and 4.0ha battery we drilled around 23 holes on one battery. Smooth as could be lite weight and compact. By the end of the trip the only one using the gas auger was the guy who just bought a gas auger and didn’t want to admit he should have got the k drill
[signature]
I have the 6" nils orange auger and it works like a charm. I drilled a ton of holes last year and never had any problems with the blade wandering on me. The nils cutter head does seem to have a bit sharper angle on it, so you don't have to hold the auger perfectly plumb to prevent wandering. My 8" hand auger will wander if its not straight up and down.
[signature]
The most important thing to look for in the drill is UWO you want to get close to 800. I can tell you from experience with a 20 volt 4 amp drill that only had 500 UWO it burns up the motor after 1 or 2 holes but got the better 820 UWO motor also 20 volt and 4 amp battery and it makes all the difference can drill dozens of holes no problem
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I started with a gas auger 15 years ago and went through 2 of them. When the cordless drill options started to become very popular, I bought a Milwaukee 18V Fuel drill kit with two 4 ah batteries and a Nils cordless drill auger (orange) and used it for 3 years. Loved it. Then last year, I saw the new K-Drill auger and watched some you tube comparisons against the Nils. I sold the Nils and bought the K-Drill. IMHO, the K-Drill is the best one money can buy. Very light weight and can be used with extensions if need be - you can't use extensions with the Nils (the safety plate prevents this).

A 6-inch K-Drill is all you need regardless of fish size you pursue because you can enlarge the hole with the K-Drill by placing the guide spike 1/2" away from the first hole and drill a second with absolutely no auger wander. And then you could even drill a third hole a 1/2" away from the junction of the first two for a very large clover leaf looking hole.

The K-drill requires almost no down pressure to drill your holes and last season I was able to get at least 30 - 35 holes drilled (depending on ice thickness) on one 4 ah battery pack on my Milwaukee 18V Fuel drill.

I've heard some rumors about a Russian ice auger (Nero?) that is supposed to be very good, but haven't seen one in person.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I agree with dubob. I switched to the Kdrill last year and love it. I bought a heavier thermal tent last year and needed to ditch some weight, so I sold my Jiffy Propane Auger and bought the Kdrill. I couldn’t be happier.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
The 6" Nils is the one I bought at the beginning of last years ice fishing seasons, here is a link to them:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.j...prd1089564

There are a lot of different opinions on what motor to buy but I ended up buying a
DeWalt 20volt Lithium-Ion, not sure if this is the same one I bought it is the same price. The one I bought was 1/2 drive.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Vo.../207105622

On ice that was 7 to 8" thick, I could drill 25 holes per battery, later in the season and colder outside when the ice was over 12", the number of holes I could drill was less but with two batteries I could still drill 30 holes per trip. If you buy the bigger 8" Nils you will not be able to drill as many holes but for the $225 I spend it was well worth the investment plus the drill is great for, around the house projects, the rest of the year.
[signature]
The auger makes all the difference. My fishing buddy has an 8 in nils and I had one of those regular ones. Like someone else said they cut so easily you really don't need power. But I bought the 6in nils for this season and I just bought the clam adapter plate and really nice dewalt drill. It'll be a killer setup for this season.

I've never used the kdrill so I can't really say anything on that.

-Ryan
[signature]
I put a 20 year old, 8" Lazer auger on a Milwaukee Fuel, 18 volt drill/driver with 1200 inch/pounds of torque. It would blast through 12 inches of ice in about 5 1/2 seconds. You're probably never going to see me fire up a gas auger again.... ever.

And I'm not going to spend $200+ on a K-drill either.
[signature]
I have the clam plate on a 8 inch nils with a makita cordless and 5.0 ah battery. Absolutely Love the set up. I take two batteries with me and rarely have to use the second one. Will never go back to gas again.
[signature]