Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 12/15
Was just out there at the pond and only one trout for my time. Nobody else was catching anything either, and lots of people moving around drilling trying to find the bite....super slowwww and I have no idea why it would be that way unless it's from the toxic algae bloom that happened this summer? Who knows.
Ice was a safe 4" but sketchy some areas near the shore- looked like it's even melting there, so be careful if you go.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Derek, did Yote make it out with you? Do you mind saying what part of the lake you were fishing? With the storm tomorrow I'm thinking ice fishing rather than chancing waves at Bear Lake after the whitefish. Trying to decide if there will be too many folks to still have fun??? Might be a fun meet and greet day. Later J
[signature]
Started out on the SE side, moved and drilled and moved and drilled some more. Got tired of wasting my time (except for one 12" trout) and drove over to the west side where the ice is melting near the shoreline. Nothing there either. Go figure. Two days ago I slayed the perch on that side.
No Yote...he was gun-ho about it earlier but he said he's busy with stuff.
Don't doubt that there will be masses being a Saturday. Saying that, if you decide to go out let me know what time and I'll meet you over there for a couple hours. Who knows, we may even catch something.
50% snow is in the forecast. Fun fun
[signature]
I was up there today with my wife and we did really good on the SE side. 6 trout, 9 big bluegill,5 big perch and assorted other small ones. Pretty consistent till about 1:00 when we left.
[signature]
I really doubt it is the algae. That's gonna be the new norm at a lot of lakes for a while, anyway.

My theory is it's the oppressive high pressure systems, and the storm should shake them up. I always seem to do poorly at Mantua when it's still and cold and foggy, better in a little SW wind or spitting styrofoam pellets of snow.
[signature]
I fished the SE side as well. I felt the ice was pretty safe. Caught 3 really nice bows, a bunch of small perch and one great blue gill. It was nice to be on the ice again. I think ill skip the crowds and wait until next week to get back out.
[signature]
Today did seem a bit slower than yesterday. Me and Jr managed 10 fish in almost a whole day of fishing, half those were in the first hour as the sun came up. We did find some nice gills and a few perch which we had missed out on yesterday. Strike was definately lighter today too. I was thinking they were just antsy because of the new Star Wars release today [Wink]
[signature]
Derek I think I've got a short kitchen pass. I have to be home by noon so I guess I've got the morning to go for it. I'm going to try going north from stairs to 10-12' FOW. I'll have my big Smitty I think. Working on countersinking bolt heads tonight. I may also bring the clam flip. It's a blue nanook. I'll see ya there, probably head over early since it's a short day. Later J
[signature]
Thanks for the report Derek. Looks like my first ice fishing trip will be up at Montpelier reservoir this weekend. I'll wait to hit mantua until a weekday when there are not so many people (as I'm sure there will be this weekend).

Mike
[signature]
I was out there Friday too. Key word for my son and I was SLOOOOOW! Kinda surprised since it was so good for blue gill and perch last year. Had a bunch of light bites but no catching! Ice was sketcy in places. 2-4" most places and the edges were weak getting off. We spent our time on the NE part of the reservoir. We'll try again in a week or so.
[signature]