Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New sonar/fishfinder
I want to replace the old fishing buddy fish finder I use on my pontoon kick boat. I am leaning towards the Humming Bird Helix 5 but trying decide if I need the Side Imaging model or just the regular down imaging one. Is side imaging worth it? Most my fishing is fly fishing in water no deeper that about 20 feet. Is there another model fish finder I should look at?

Thanks,

Mark
[signature]
I just picked up a Helix 7 DI last week. Absolutely amazing finder. Only thing I don't like about it is how MANY options it has. It can take awhile to find what needs to be adjusted to get the desired imaging for the situation. Once you're dialed in it is pretty amazing. My primary use for mine is icefishing and later trolling with downriggers. If I was throwing lures sideways from a pontoon I think I would pop for the side imaging. You would definately see more fish and structure. I really wish I had gotten the GPS model too now just for the screenshot feature. I had some fish that I worked up and down for several minutes at Strawberry last week. Would have been cool to have the graph data of that recorded. I had originally been looking for a Helix 5 as I like the smaller size more but I picked up the 7 off KSL with the iceducer for less than just the 5 would have cost me new. $2 cooler from the DI and a few batteries from jr's broken scooter later and I was set.
[signature]
I also bought the Helix 7. Got the GPS Chirp G2 model at Scheels, 'cuz they price-matched the lowest I found it on eBay. Saved $50. Best thing about Scheels' purchase is I can return it for exchange or money-back if I don't like it within 6 months. Wanted the AutoChart & Chirp. Already have SI and DI in back. Considered the 5", but eyes only getting older.
[signature]