Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish "Wings" Recipe
[#0000ff]Recently had a fellow BFTer tell me he loved fish tacos...but would like some other recipes besides plain frying. He admitted he loved chicken wings so I put together my recipe for "fish wings". Same as chicken only no bones...if you know how to use your fillet knife right.

You can use any kind of fish, but I especially like it for catfish. Cats are very firm and take a lot of cooking. So they hold up great when you put sauce on the fried fillets without them breaking apart...like perch or other smaller fish sometimes do. The natural "robust" taste of catfish lends itself especially well to a good spicy sauce too.

But...for all those small perch, bluegills, white bass and even bullheads...wing sauce also "makes them great again". (Sorry, Mr. Trump) The main thing is to use a good binding coating...dry or batter...that will cook up and help hold the fillets together during the saucing process. And cook them long enough to make them good and firm.

There are ready made wing sauces on the market. I have tried several and they are all good....some better than others. But one of the simplest is the recipe I have attached. It is basically the wing sauce recipe used by Hooters...but allows you to add more heat or different flavors to suit your own preferences. I always gotta mess with recipes myself and I know most other serious fish cookers do the same.

Now let's hope Mama Nature gets back on her meds and mellows out a bit. We are overdue for some springtime fish catchin'.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
tubedude,
will you serve me some wearing a hooters tank top with a frosty 24oz brew?
[signature]
Great idea. Thanks.

Now if I were back in Illinois and catching buffalo, these could be Buffalo Fish Wings!

Yes, kiddies, there are buffalo fish. See link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ictiobus
[signature]
[quote pardof16]tubedude,
will you serve me some wearing a hooters tank top with a frosty 24oz brew?[/quote]

[#0000FF]You must really be a sick puppy. I ain't gonna do that but here is about what you would see...maybe with a little more grey in the hair.[/#0000FF]

[inline "HOOTERS DUDE.png"]
[signature]
Nice way to mix it up from the normal fish fry!

I'll give it try with teriyaki sauce, the wife won't eat anything spicy

Thanks
[signature]
[#0000ff]Teriyaki fishy is good. Ditto for sweet and sour sauce over fried fillets. Even a good barbecue sauce for dipping fried fillets works good.

Trouble is that too many anglers are not chefs and are afraid to think outside the (fish) box.

If you like oriental style fish, try the attached fish "rumaki" recipe. It got bacon. Bacon good.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, even though those buffalo are members of the carp clan, they are less bony and the flesh is quite good. They are actually sold commercially in some areas of the upper midwest.

They get big too...almost as big as...buffalo.

[inline "BIG BUFF.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The Wiki says they are in the sucker family, not carp. That would explain why their flesh is better than carp. I ain't no icky ologist, so I dunno.

I also note that they now suspect buffalo fish as the carrier for Haff disease. That's half a reason to avoid it, I guess. I'll stick with Willard cookie cutters and wipers for my fish wings.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Right ye be. But since they look like carp they are usually painted with the same brush. Actually, both carp and suckers are members of the large "minnow" family.

I'm witchoo on the Willard fishies being on the preferred list for dinner guests. Wouldn't wanna get "haff-heimers" instead of alzheimers. At least I think I wouldn't. I don't remember.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the recipes. Look real tasty! i have some perch filets frozen and waiting for an opportunity.
[signature]
yikes!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope some day I'll be able to get that image out of my mind. Looks like the JV team working at the hooters in bismark ND!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Remember the saying "Be careful what you wish for."

Here is another image...hopefully to replace the other one. Best I can do.

[inline "HOOTERS GIRLS.jpg"]

[/#0000FF]
[signature]