Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
another UL report
Good morning at Bird Island today. Arrived at 5:30 and left at 9:30 after using up all of my 2 dozen carplettes. Water temp was 60 degrees. Hard to keep two poles in the water when the bite is on like it was today. Nothing big... three best were about 25 inchers... all caught on carplettes in 1-2 fow.

White bass were a total nuisance all morning. Any bait they couldn't eat they would pick up and drag in around.

Most of the cats appeared to be females... no big ugly scared up males this time. Should continue to be good fishun' as long as the weather stays good.

Soon.

BLK
[signature]
You should have replenished you bait with WB then you could stay out there forever and fish to our hearts content or until you got hungry.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Thanks for the report! it sounds like a good morning overall.

I drove past the big flag next to the University Ave exit this morning about 5:30. The flag was haning limp and I said: "I't would be a great morning for BLK to hit the lake." I just looked for the report and there it was.

I'm with MSM though, I wouild have asked for voluteers from amoung those pesky whites and used tehm for bait[Wink]
[signature]
I forgot to ask, Are the crps still thrashing in the shallows?
[signature]
Yes, the carp are still thrashing. I could hear them all around the launch even early in the morning. Lots of carp clusters in the open water near Benjamin Slough. My g-kids and their friends killed "hundreds of 'em" about a mile up BS creek last week.

Carp, cat, and wb should be in full spawn mode as the weather/water continues to warm.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. 2 doz pieces of bait is more than I would expect to use. Question, have you ever used catfish as bait?
[signature]
It is against the law to use game fish or their parts for bait unless they are listed as legal in the proclamation (perch and stripers come to mind)
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I have not used catfish for bait. My go to baits are the usual... carp, wb, (UL only) and sucker meat. I use either chunks of meat or minnow sized young of the year. Nothing better than a 3-4 inch carplette or white bass to avoid mudders and white bass. I am a proponent of bigger bait catches bigger fish... sometimes.

I'll be after 'em again tomorrow (retirement is great and i highly reccommend it) with a good supply of carp, sucker, and white bass. Lost one today that broke my 20# braid at hook-set. I'd like to think it was my 36 incher but can't rule out fisherman error... maybe sharp rocks?... knot failure?? Naa... it was a monster cat. I'll get him tomorrow.
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up, I should have looked it up first before asking.
[signature]
"with a good supply of carp, [#FF0000]sucker[/#FF0000], and white bass."

[#0000FF]Not legal to use ANY sucker meat on Utah Lake. DWR doesn't want to leave any chance of croaking a Junie for bait.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It was nice sharing Utah Lake with you yesterday. Even if we were a few miles apart. Might try to get down to your end of the lake next week. [/#0000FF]
[signature]
Using old game meat for bait has been mentioned here before. All game meat is to be used for human consumption. But what DO you do with meat that has been accidentally defrosted and refrozen, and you just don't trust it?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Only "sucker" is me... meant to say Scofield chubs. Duh!

Another great day today fishing with Catrat, aka Wetrat. We had steady fishing all morning and the Rat was able to put a couple of nice fish on his contest page. One nice Tom Cat that weighted 7 pounds 14 oz. Caught several that were beat up pretty bad -- one with a big gouge out of his nose. Tough love.

I'm done until the weather front passes.

BLK and Catrat
[signature]
Sounds like another great morning! Is Wetrat, I meant Catrat retired too[Tongue]
[signature]
Nah, he just finally found a day off. More to come I hope.

Wish i would have had a camera for a picture of him with a rod in each had with fish on both. I couldn't help because i had a fish on at the same time. We caught over 20 cats today, they were not fussy about the bait we used. Caught them on carplettes, wb, and chub meat. Water temp was bouncing around 61-2 degrees. Beautiful, calm day.
[signature]
Sounds like a great morning to be out there! My best shot at getting away this week is Friday evening. Weather doesn't look to promising though.

We need to get a 30+ for the South, if we want to outrun those northerners! I hope UL doesn't go w/o a 30 for 2 years in a row. And with TD raising the "bloom" concern, we'd better find them early.
[signature]
Good job on the kitties. I will be there tomorrow and Saturday. Wind forecast looks good for both days but will change as soon as my boat comes off the trailer.
[signature]
Hey Lynn, nice bucket of Cats. The weather has been so nice all week, and of course, I had to work. Now the weather is forecast to turn a bit cold, wet and windy for the weekend...[Sad][mad]
2 more years and I'll be in the retired BFTer brigade [cool]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I got about 1/12 years left before retirement. Maybe then I can give Lynn some competition.
[signature]
My only regret about retiring is that I didn't do it 20 or 30 years sooner. First thing I did after retiring was to throw away my wrist watch -- doesn't matter what time it is cuz I've got all day.

I enjoyed my work but I always viewed it as a means to an end rather than lifetime status. I saw too many co-workers who saw work as their life.. they lived to work. Many would put in 40 plus years, retire, and die. Not me. When I hit that 30 year mark I had my finances in order and there was nothing but a vacuum left where I shot out the door. No way you can put a value on the times I have spent with my g-kids hunting and fishing... it's a new full time career.

So, Ice Sled, Tin Can -- get those years in and I'll be the first to welcome you as full time competitors on the pond.

Life is good.

Lynn aka BLK (retired)
[signature]