Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fried catfish
OH. MY. GOSH. I just fried up the catfish fillets from the ones I caught a couple of days ago, my first. Now I'm double hooked on catfishing. I fried them plain over medium heat and I can't believe how delicious they are. Even my wife, who doesn't fish or eat the ones I bring home usually, made sure I saved plenty for her.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Careful you may get her on the lake fishing next... fried is my favorite way to eat catfish. Glad she is coming around and starting to except it in the house better.
[signature]
I was also motivated by the posts I read on here. After 50 plus years of letting catfish go and only eating trout and Walleye. I finally took some catfish home from a trip to UL last Thursday. Took time to filet them, then a quick roll in Louisiana Fish Fry, then into the deep fryer. That deep fried Catfish is as good as any fish there is period. Thanks to all of you Catfish experts for posting. I had a ball!
[signature]
Oh, you've started down a dangerous - but delicious - road, good sir. Now you'll have to enjoy crappie, and perch, and bluegill, and bass, and wiper, too. Because they're all white and sweet. You may start tossing back the trout, after getting "hooked" on all those warm water species.
[signature]
Yes, when I was a teenager I discovered bluegill fillets. I just rolled them in cornmeal, salt and pepper. I dined like a king.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Delicate, quick-frying fillets like bluegill and perch can use a batter, too. Bisquick and a little beer (or buttermilk if you are beer averse) with some garlic powder and Old Bay made into a thin batter - a bit thinner than pancake batter.
[signature]
Rocky, that is almost exactly the same recipe my dad used to cook Catfish and Brimm. MMmmmm good.[Wink]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
It's a classic - for good reason.

Oh, and when the fillets are done, toss some onion rings in that batter. MMMMmmmmm
[signature]
Looks like you did really well... How big is that big one? Later J
[signature]
I'm sorry but there must be some mistake. Catfish are not good to eat. Utah lake catfish are ever worse.

rj
[signature]
It was just a little over 27" that red area on my board was the no keepum 27' to 37" slot limit area on the Gorge for Lakers quite a few years back. Have been down to UL a couple times and caught several real nice fish
[signature]
Nice fish, I was thinking that red area is what we want for contest fish. Thanks for the reply and glad you got a taste of cat fever. Later J
[signature]