Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monday Mayhem at Lincoln 5-21-18
[#0000FF]Had hatched a plan with BLK to try to sneak a quick trip in between Mama Nature's hissy fits. Got an email from him last night...weeping and wailing about a big thunderstorm going on down there in the evening...saying he might be only bank tangling.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I drove up to the Lincoln Beach Ramp about 6ish...as promised. No BLK. I prepped to launch and here came BLK in a boatless truck. He wimped out and did not bring the kidless boat. So he headed for a shore venue whilst I launched the TD Maru.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Air temp 49...clear and calm. Water temp 64 at launch and warming to 68 by noon thirty departure. Depth at least 3.5 feet all the way out the channel.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Wondered how last night's blow might affect the fish. Seemed to have blown them all south to Lincoln Beach. My jigs were attacked by whities on my first casts around the end of the south dike. Even got some on whole minnows or fligged minnows soaked for cats later.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Cats? My first LHBE minnow had not completely settled on the bottom before some wacko kitty snarfed it, put the line over its shoulder and boogied across the flats. And then it got better.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Nonstop cat action on chub minnows, white bass, carp meat and even jig and worm...with and without the deadly fligs. That storm last night musta stirred up a powerful hunger in them fishies. Absolutely ruthless. At least I didn't see Ruth so I'm guessing she wasn't there.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]By 8:30 I quit trying to count fish...when I had one or two over ten. Then, about 9 or a little after, a north breeze came up and fishing dropped off...as it usually does with a north wind at Lincoln. My radio snarled at me and I recognized BLK's lovely voice inquiring as to my success. I let him know that I probably had caught about 15 by then, but that the breeze was making fishing difficult...and the fish didn't seem to like it much either. He said he had only caught one at his spot, but it had been about 25 inches...nice but no major contest points.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Lynn bagged it and boogied. As the breeze got stronger I considered making an early day of it myself. So I started beating my way slowly back toward the channel. Then...the breeze died down and the fish came back to play.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I caught at least another dozen before I emptied both bags of minnows and most of the white bass and carp meat. And I had over-funned. Just ain't got the stamina I used to have.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Today's biggest was right at 25 inches. Smallest was a little over a footlong. If I could have caught a couple more and strung them together I coulda had a 36. Right? Average was a healthy 22-24 inches and full of fight. They all punched over their weight classification. Much fun.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I fished exclusively on the "flats" between the end of the dikes and the opening of Benjamin Slough. Had to chuckle as I looked up into the mouth of the slough and saw the hordes of fish-eating birds ambushing the whities as they went up and down that shallow inlet.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great report as ever. Rain or shine, North or South, you seem find them in numbers. I'm pretty sure the common denominator to all this fish catching has to be that hat of yours [Wink].

Glad you had a blast. Wishing I was retired right now.[fishon]
[signature]
Sounds like you had a memorable morning, or at leat a very busy one! I liked the pictures, espacially the "moving" one. Whenever a caat does that in my hand, I end up bleeding somewhere. I'm glad yo uhave it figured out better than I do.

I wish the boat trouble hadn't kept me from joining you, but thannks for not rubbing it in.
[signature]
Left my boat at home today cuz I didn't want to embarrass Pat by catching more fish than he did. I have been fishing the BS area all week and never have found a catfish over 25 or so inches. They are there and my all-time best cat, a 33 incher, came from that same area.

I met a guy who had spent a week camped at Lincoln. He was a long time catfisher who directed me to his secret spot where all the catfish were huge. He was and had been enjoying a beer and I'm beginning to wonder if I should have applied a beer-filter to all his claims. Ennyway, went to the spot he suggested and only caught one 25 inch cat and a bunch of wb.

Pat had one of his usual banner days but that is almost standard fair for him. I believe the cats are really coming on now and there should be fast action for the next couple of months. The secret to finding bigger fish might be to fish at night. Full moon coming next week so I'm looking forward to a few night shifts.

Pat brought me a nice bag of smoked kitties... good stuff. Thanks.

Thursday looks like the next good weather day. I will be there.

BLK
[signature]
Fantastic report. Glad you had yet 'another' banner day...I can't wait to retire!

Anddddd awesome pics.

One of these days I'm gonna fish with you again Pat, and with you BLK.

In the meantime I'm going to keep trying for the big kitties up North.
[signature]
"I'm pretty sure the common denominator to all this fish catching has to be that hat of yours [Wink]."

[#0000FF]Hey, you can diss my hat all ya want. It keeps my face and ears covered from the harsh UV rays. Wait until you get older and your dermatologist introduces you to a great "weight loss" program every year when you go in for a screening.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Some folks just settle for the fact my lovely face is at least partially covered. Doesn't seem to bother the fish.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]BLK showed up without a boat. And then you don't even show up at all. I was beginning to get a complexion. Wondered if my new deodorant wasn't working. I have that 23 hour deodorant...'cause I believe everybody deserves some time to themselves.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope you get the boat running again...before you run out of money. They do have a diet rich in cash.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Glad you liked my "moving picture". I wasn't even aware I had squeezed off that shot until I saw it on the disc. I have had cats "flex" just as I tried to shoot them before but have never caught one in midair like that. Just hadda post it. I have a pretty firm grip and usually don't lose my grasp on the fish. But that one was strong and lit in my lap. Glad I had my rigid apron "sushi board".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Can't say I blame you for being a bit skeptical about the weather. It has not been nice to you lately. But really? You leave your boat behind...only a few minutes away? I got up way earlier than you, loaded up all my gear and drove over an hour...chanting my power of positive catfishing mantra. Worked for me.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Always good to see ya, Lynn...and to fish together though apart.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Glad you liked the smoky stuff. Hope you were able to find big enough papers...and that you don't light the filter end.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]As I mused during our broadcast farewell session, I think my next visit on UL will be across the lake...at the Knolls. Could be the end of this week but more likely next week.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote lavaman]Fantastic report. Glad you had yet 'another' banner day...I can't wait to retire!

Anddddd awesome pics.

One of these days I'm gonna fish with you again Pat, and with you BLK.

In the meantime I'm going to keep trying for the big kitties up North.[/quote]

[#0000FF]I know, I know. Seems like you work forever just to be able to retire. But don't wish your life away. Too soon you will be sitting in your recliner, drooling and thinking about the good old days when you could still do all the things you like to do.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It really has been forever since we last "hooked up" on Mantua. A lot of water under the float tube since then...for both of us. I think we owe it to ourselves to MAKE something happen...not just WAIT for it to happen. Maybe Willard? But I know BLK would go for a 3-way in his SS BLK...on Utah Lake. Once you learn to tolerate him he is okay.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great job TD. One of these days my flyrod is going to make it down to UL.
[signature]
Sounds like you had a great day. Hope you didn't sore mouth all of them, because Allan and I will be launching from Lincoln Beach in a few minutes.
[signature]
[quote FatBiker]Great job TD. One of these days my flyrod is going to make it down to UL.[/quote]

[#0000FF]Why would you walk away from a prime rib dinner to eat a peanut butter sandwich? Willard is closer and is a much better fly-flinger venue. Cleaner water (for fly visibility) and more potential fly chomping species on any given day.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Seriously, Utah Lake CAN be good on feathers and fluff...but since it muddies up with any stout breeze it is tough to find water clarity good enough for sight feeding fishes.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That being said, I have caught good numbers of all species in Utah Lake on Flies. Just gotta time it right.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Well, I didn't make it out to Bird Island and I suspect that will be one of your targeted areas. So there should still be some willing candidates.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Good luck. Hope the weather behaves for you.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You're right about Willard. Here's a 23 inches from yesterday evening.
[signature]
Great report Pat, thanks for sharing it with all of us... That way we can do a little living vicariously through your trips... Wish my real trips were half as good as yours...

I ran out for an hour and a half last night and found two mudcats and a 27.5" channel... Had one other channel grab it and run, but didn't get a hook into it so it kept going...

I need a little more time on the water, seems like I just get there and it's time to pack up and go to bed... Got to start getting started before 8:30, but just too many other things that's got to be done...

I smoked up my Willard kitties over the weekend with your spice mix and man they were good... Those Willard fish are good eating fare, had the wiper on Saturday and polished off the smoked cats yesterday... Guess I should have kept the cat last night, but I like to leave them in my spots in hopes they grow bigger... Want a 30"er sometime ya know... Anyway glad you had a barn burner of a day, sure sounded like a lot of fun... Thanks again for the time you take to make the reports, they are always enjoyed... later J
[signature]
That's more like it! The boat is amost there. It is adjustment now and not cash and I can do the adjustments myself. I think I'll be back in the game this weekend.
[signature]
I have a newbie question. what the heck is a [#0000ff]LHBE minnow?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Not nice to cut off a kitty's head and tail. You gotta hold your phone sideways for pics of those longer fish.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]But...nice fish.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
"Thanks again for the time you take to make the reports, they are always enjoyed"

[#0000FF]Hey, as the old saying goes..."It's a messy business, but someone's gotta do it." Happy to do my part.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote sinful75]I have a newbie question. what the heck is a [#0000ff]LHBE minnow?[/#0000ff][/quote]

[#0000FF]Sorry. No deep dark secret. They are just plain old chub minnows. But when someone asks what I am using I tell them "Left-Handed, Blue-Eyed" minnows. That keeps the doofii (plural of doofus) wondering. But folks with a sense of humor figure out pretty quick that I am messin' wit' 'em. If they laugh and ask how I tell the difference I let them in on the "secret".[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]By the way, I do the same thing with nightcrawlers.[/#0000FF]
[signature]