Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Sept 20
[fishon]

Water is starting to turn over, lots of algae in the water. Fishing was good. On the water at 7:30 am and it was quite slow for two hours, at about 9:30 things picked up.Water was glass until 11:05 and then the 20mph wind machine kicked on. We had best luck using a small pink tube jig tipped with a worm or a #3 bluefox, gold, tipped with a worm. We caught the most fish just letting the boat drift with the wind and letting our lines out. Best fish was a 2lb rainbow. lots of cuts in the slot.
Most caught between 25 and35 feet of water.

Good luck
[signature]
I think it will be a while before the water turns over
the 50 deg water on the bottom needs to get on top
thanks for your report
I was trolling friday and saw a lot of boats jigging in renegade, some of them moved so they may have not done to good.
didn't talk to any of them are get to close to them
[signature]
The water on top needs to get to 39°F.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
Nice Bow and thanks for the report.

Hope to get out this weekend. Ill post results following that trip...
[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]The water on top needs to get to 39°F.[/quote]

I have always been of the belief that a surface temp of 50° F makes for the good fall fishing to start out in Renegade.

When you say "39°", is that your prefered surface temp for best jigging on the Berry? Or what do you mean by that statement?

Thanks,

--- Coot ---
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]

[quote Fishrmn]The water on top needs to get to 39°F.[/quote]

When you say "39°", is that your prefered surface temp for best jigging on the Berry? Or what do you mean by that statement?

Thanks,

--- Coot ---

[/quote]

The person who started this thread stated that the water was starting to turn over. Fishrmn was merely stating that turnover requires the water temperature to be 39 degrees. Water is densest at 39.2 degrees Fahrenheit.
[signature]
Ahhh … sí senior … Thanks Kent
[signature]
Hey Kent, so I've always heard the water turning over and all, but never really seen it happen or noticed it while I was out... I don't really think the water would wait till it's 39 degrees before it starts turning over, I would think as the surface layer gets colder than the lower layers the shift would happen gradually because as you mentioned a more dense condition would make the surface layer heavier than the water under it and I assume that happens to the point where the lower layer hits the most dense form at 39 degrees then I assume that the upper layers start cooling towards forming ice.... Have you ever seen it happen all at once? Just curious if anyone really knows the mechanics??? I know I've seen in the fall when the water gets all stirred up from what I assumed was the turn over, but it just doesn't make sense to me as I think about it... But then again that brings up the topic of the thermo cline and I'm not sure I under stand that really well either... You know much about that? Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Water is most dense at 39.2 degrees Fahrenheit; however, logic would be that it would at least begin turning over as it reaches that temperature. I would guess it would turn over, at least partially, several times, especially on deeper bodies of water. Some think turnover has occurred because they see chunks of seaweed floating around. Seaweed begins to die off as the water cools (or perhaps as there is less daylight, or both) and when it dies it becomes detached and floats in the water column and up to the surface. Seaweed floating around may or may not be proof that turnover has occurred.

Those with greater understanding are more than welcome to correct any inaccuracies that I have stated.
[signature]
[#0000FF]"Turnover" is more likely to occur in larger and deeper bodies of water than smaller and shallower. [url "http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/turnlakes.htm"]SEE ATTACHED LINK[/url][/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In Utah, old-timers see the annual algae die off on some lakes and assume the lake has turned over. But this happens on lakes like Strawberry while the surface temps are still between 50-60 degrees. Know-it-all Strawberry "experts" will go fist city when you argue that it is not really a turnover.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]When a substantial part of the upper layer of water reaches the 39 degree mark, there really is a definite and quick re-stratification of the whole water column. That brings the now warmer bottom layers to the top while the colder and heavier surface layer slides to the bottom.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Often that bottom layer is poorly oxygenated and stagnant...resulting in the new upper layer being murky and foul-smelling. Until winds pick up and churn the surface to oxygenate the new top layer it is offensive to fishkind...and fishing is poor until things settle down.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]You can't overthink this...or second-guess it. It is a natural occurrence and happens in its own good time. And the fish act accordingly...even if the fishermen don't.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]