Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric auger driver/old post hunt
Last year there were several suggestions on which electric drills to use for powering a hand auger conversion. Several recommended dewalt 20 volt drills. Can someone direct me to where to locate those posts? Time is drawing near, so I need to start looking now. I have the drill to auger adapter for my 8 inch auger, but my old drill is not up to the task.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Did you try a google search with "Utah ice auger drill"?
[signature]
Try this link.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ll;#898989
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I have been very pleased with my Milwaukee Fuel M-18 cordless drill.
[signature]
Yes, this is the post that I was looking for. Thanks a lot.
[signature]
Is it the model 2704-20 M18 compact or the 2804-20 M18?
[signature]
[quote BURLEY]

Is it the model 2704-20 M18 compact or the 2804-20 M18?

[/quote]

It has "CAT. No. 2704-20" on the sticker.
[signature]
Hey can I put my 2 cents in on this conversation? I have used a Dewalt 20 Volt brushless drill on an 8” ice auger and I’m looking for a Milwaukee 2804-20 this year. My auger is a laser so it’s a little tougher to drill with than a Nils but it was too much for my Dewalt to turn without heating up. Now the 6” Nils is a different story it works great, but I need more torque for the 8”. Also the 2804 has a better handle design than the 2704 so it won’t bust, so I’d recommend going with the gen3. Anyway just my thoughts on this discussion. Later J
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I've been using the Milwaukee for 4 seasons now and it has never missed a beat. I get 40 plus holes per battery charge with my 6" K-drill auger. I had a NILS before that and got about the same. The M-18's are more than enough drill for whatever auger you have. Just be sure to get the largest amp hour battery's you can find. Check out everything at[/#800000][/font] [url "https://www.cpomilwaukee.com/"]CPOMilwaukee[/url] [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]for the best prices.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have used the same set up as dubob for years as well. Love the set up. Nice and lightweight and for me, the drill is dual purpose as I also use it to drill my ice anchors in the ice for the shelter if need be. The key is the battery.
[signature]
Thanks Bob for the tip they have a full selection to choose from including reconditioned ones. They are a little more expensive than Amazon but they have more to choose from. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Hey Jeff, I bought a Milwaukee Fuel 18 last ice season and it has been great. Drilled up to 30 holes in 10” of good solid ice with a 8” auger. No problems. Never used my backup battery.
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Thanks Bob for the tip they have a full selection to choose from including reconditioned ones. They are a little more expensive than Amazon but they have more to choose from. Thanks Jeff[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]You're welcome. [Smile][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I bought one of the reconditioned kits and saved $100. Going on 4 years and still going strong.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
You get a compact in any brand and you'll be underpowered....get industrial strength....
[signature]
Thanks everyone for all the info. I just pulled the trigger and ordered a new Milwaukie m18 fuel model 2804-20 off ebay for $102, charger $22, and 2- 6.0Ah batteries for $76. I will be attaching it to my old 8 inch auger for now and maybe upgrade to a nils next year. Unless I get another iche to scratch.
[signature]
[quote Jmorfish]

You get a compact in any brand and you'll be underpowered....get industrial strength....

[/quote]

If the Milwaukee 2704-20 is considered a compact I beg to differ.
[signature]
You did good.
[signature]
That's a good deal been watching and that's the best price I've seen since I decided I wanted one. Congrats. J
[signature]
The drill comes with the side handle but nothing else, no case, no charger, no battery, but it is brand new.
[signature]
Thanks Ben, I think I'll upgrade this year, I just keep hoping they will go on sale so I can save a little. I was going to just get an 8" Nils auger instead, but they raised their price $60 this year so I'm going to get a drill instead and keep my old auger. I should probably sell my 10" mako cause I don't use it too much anymore, but I love those 10" holes at Bear Lake. Don't know why my wife thinks I have a problem with ice fishing??? Hey I hope we end up fishing the same pond sometime this year would be fun to visit. Later Jeff
[signature]