Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY spring bobber
Has anyone made their own. I’ve probably tried 8 different types and cannot find one that does what I want. They are either not secure to the rod and slide around or fall off. Or the ice up and don’t work. I like the wire ones but I’d really like one with an open loop on the end so I can take the line out of it when I store my rods.

I’d like to see what you made.
[signature]
There are a lot of good options for rods with a sensitive enough tip to not need a wire indicator. I’ve gone completely away from them. When I was into trying every type made, the action tackle spring bobber was substantially better than the rest. I would look at a Jason Mitchell Meat Stick rod first tho.
[signature]
Cheap ht enterprise ice blue rods are great without a spring bobber. [fishon]
[signature]
That is a dang good idea. I’ve tried a couple but have always ended up back at the springs that ice up. What about a wire with an open shepherds hookon the end and tape the other end to rod tip. I think that would work great. Good idea, now to find some stiff wire. Thanks. J
[signature]
This is exactly like what I am picturing too. If I could take the line out it wouldn't get all messed up when I store it.

I am not looking to buy any more rods at the moment. I already have WAY too many haha.

I am going to experiment with this. I saw one guy made like another eyelet that is oppostite the normal ones. So it's at the tip but it's on the top. Then he used the spring out of a pen and and a loop for the line. I like this but I don't want to have to untie to take the line off. I would rather have a hook instead of a loop.

I'm more trying to figure out if this is something I have just chosen to obsess with or if others have thought it would be better with an open loop?

-Ryan
[signature]
I wrap it with thread and add a little super glue.
[signature]
I make my own out of a guitar strings, I have a co-worker that is in a band and they give me their old strings. I hook them on just like the wire ones you can by but I make them tighter on the rod and use heat shrink to hold them together. I make the eyelet bigger around that helps with ice build up. I also lake them just long enough to slide down to the next guide for storage. I also put a colored bead on the tip, helps see it move better.
[signature]
Depending on what I’m fishing for, but I’m not using the spring bobber as much anymore. And I totally hate trying to keep my line tight without ruining the spring bobber. So I really like your idea and think it’s the perfect blend of having the benefits of a SB but not the drawbacks. I’ll try bending one up. Later J
[signature]
I got tired of dealing with the issues that comes with traditional spring bobbers and went with titanium bobbers. I put them on my rods just the way I wrap rod guide windings and coat with a coating of epoxy. The line can be tightened with no deforming. They never loosen up.
[signature]
Sounds like a good design, but I'm not sure I've seen them before... Thanks for the tip, i'll see if I can find them... J
[signature]
I ordered my on E-Bay. Where else? They were about 14.00 for 4 bobbers.
[signature]
Thanks Ben, I looked them up so now I know what you're talking about... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
[quote muirco]Cheap ht enterprise ice blue rods are great without a spring bobber. [fishon][/quote]
Those are the rods Wiperslayer and I use, they are the best for being sensitive with no need for using a spring bobber.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Some people swear by them (spring bobbers) and some people swear at them. I've tried 3 or 4 designs and have not been totally happy with any of them. My biggest complaint is that none of them have a fool-proof attachment that absolutely will not move around on the rod in use.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]What I have determined works best for me is to use rods with ultri-light tops like the HT rods already mentioned. I used the HT for a couple of years but found the tip section way to fragile for my 'bull-in-a-china-shop' demeanor. [Wink][/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]For finesse fishing for perch/crappie/bluegills, I now use UL Ugly Sticks and mount them on a Mr Jigger or TL Designs Tip down. Very, very sensitive and NEVER freezes up.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Looking at the review comments for several brands of titanium bobbers, most of the negative comments are about either they are TOO light, don't fit the rod diameter, or are hard to secure.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]But hey, if you like them and they work for you, that's great. Tight lines to all y'all. [cool][/size][/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."