Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NO ICE
If anyone is interested, Utah Lake has gone ice free !! AF harbor is also ice free!! Let the games begin !!! No idea about Lindon, Provo, Pelican Bay, or Lincoln Beach. I would assume that they would be free also due to the South wind over the last few days. BLK, you need to give us a south end report !!
Hey, I'm on it! I'll have an update on Lincoln by noon tomorrow. Count on it. I'm as antsy as anyone to get after 'em.

The best is coming.

BLK
[signature]
I would like to hear a ice free report. My boat is sitting in a 3’ drift now with more snow on the way. 😞
[signature]
Good news Ice Sled!! I had nothing to do at home so made the little trip out to observe the conditions at LB. NO ICE to be found anywhere. The channel is open and the water around the springs is rising fast and almost covers the rocks. There were a couple of guys at the first spring catching white bass but no other fishers observed. There is some wind-blown ice stacked up near the second spring and by the "L" but nothing serious. Could not see any ice around Bird Island either.

I walked out on the north arm of the channel and as I paused briefly in the cold wind I could hear a subtle prompting that seemed to emanate from the deep water... kinda sounded like "we're reeeady, come and geeettt us." Weird and unnerving. I hustled back home.

The best is coming!
BLK
[signature]
I appreciate the enthusiasm on this thread. Glad it's not just me!
[signature]
Boy you guys are crazy... fish'en for cats this time of year has got to be tough duty.... But I wish you the best of luck and a couple weeks I'll even start keeping score... Man I need to get on the ice soon or I'm going to be too late... This rain has really toasted the edges and will make things tough for a while unless we get some good cold again... That ice season is just too short.... Later J
[signature]
Good news Lynn! Could you launch a boat the size of yours? Guess I better borrow the neighbors tractor and did out my ride. I think we were catching some kitties last Feb. I’ll gladly put away my ice equipment and fish for some of those fishes you heard calling from the deep.
[signature]
Great news! Although the weather looks a bit d icey the next few days[Wink]

The camera at UL State Park shows that harbor is still iced in this morning, but the orange posts marking a hole in the ice all sank so the hole must have gotten bigger!
[signature]
Ben-- The water is deep enough in the channel for an easy launch. It is good to see the water level climb up the launch ramp as we continue to get much needed moisture. It is looking better every day now, especially with the foot of snow I pushed off of my driveway this morning. The Benjamin Slough inlet has been running very high for the past month or so and we haven't even started with the spring run off. Bodes well for the future.

You might want to hold off on digging that boat out until we get past the blustery next few days. Won't be long now -- a nice two week thaw would be a provide a good start. I expect the walleye guys to be out in force as soon as this storm passes.

It won't be long now. I will continue with massive doses of anti-depressants while biding time for fishable weather/water. Soon.

The best is yet to come.

BLK
[signature]
Hopefully it will make up to the seem on the ramp in a week and a half, that should be first launch.
looking at the forecast it will freeze up a bit this weekend. besides still going through tackle, boats this week end to get ready.[Wink]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
This is my twitchy time of year, where I really get the bug to get on my tube again. Map-hounding increases, plans for the bigger trips of summer get hashed out, and cabin fever reigns supreme.

I wrote a little something about it a few years back:

​Old Man Winter

A shadow looms above us,
Through branches thin and bare.

His name is Old Man Winter,
His curse is everywhere.

Release your frozen, icy grip,
On the lakes we hold so dear.

We're through with all your holidays,
We’ve had our Christmas cheer.

Now we're left to wait it out,
And slowly pass our time.

As cabin fever sinks its teeth,
Into our troubled minds.

When thoughts of springtime blossoms,
Throughout our dreams prevail,

The passing of these frigid months,
Will surely serve us well.

So leave us, Old Man Winter,
Free us of this woe.

For when you've made way for the spring,
A fishing, we will go.
[signature]
Hear! Hear! Beauty in verse to sooth and make bearable the wait for summer's warmth. You are a talented man LOAH and I applaud your skill with the written word as well as your skill with the rod.

BLK
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]
While you’re planning those summer trips I’d like to rummage through your garbage and pick up on the ones that don’t make the A list. You sure do some incredible trips that make wonderful posts. Best of luck in that planning process I look forward to the results. One of these years I’d like to learn about the boulder area and try a trip down there, but I keep planning Wind River trips instead. Some day I’ll branch out. Later J
[signature]
I see that they are ice fishing, in the marina, at The Utah State Park this morning.
[signature]