Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whities at UL?
Just checking in to see if anyone has any intel on the white bass at Utah Lake. I was just there on Monday, and nothing was happening. The State Park marina was a complete bust, and running up to the Lindon harbor was more of the same.

I seem to remember the white bass spawn being much earlier last year. Please don't tell me I missed it!
[signature]
Sorry I can't help, but welcome to the board.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You have probably missed most of the main spawn. Fish started staging by the first of May. But they held off a bit due to unseasonal cool weather, rain and wind. A brief warming period took the water temps to the desired 65 degree mark a couple of weeks ago and the fish got busy in a hurry. Still a few stragglers with eggs or milt but most have now dispersed throughout the lake and you have to look harder to find any.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Most years the white bass start showing up by late April and spawn through the early part of May. It is rare for them to stay bunched up as late as they did this year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
DANG IT.

I've been keeping an eye on the forums and the fishing reports and must've missed it... DNR is horrible about updating their fishing reports because it still says the spawn never happened lol.
[signature]
You wrote:

"I've been keeping an eye on the forums and the fishing reports and must've missed it... DNR is horrible about updating their fishing reports because it still says the spawn never happened lol. "

I'm sorry you missed it. I, myself, could use more for my bait supply.

You know, the DWR reports often originate right here, so this is really one of your best choices for solid information. It's easy to miss something, though. That's when the Search feature comes in handy. If you put in "white bass" and set the search parameters for the last couple of months you would find the reports you missed. Something to keep in mind for the future.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Bloody wierd weather this year. I had lots of time in April and Early May to play with white bass bass, nope no ready. Just when my playtime ran out the weather broke and they ran to the harbors. Dang the luck, but that's fishing.
[signature]
I fished the river at UL state park and caught about 15 white bass. Every time I reel one in, I see 3-4 other white bass swim along side. They are all over the river because I can see groups of them swimming by the shoreline.. When I put the jig in front of the group, they scatter. Saw lots of people at the end of the South dike catching white bass too. They are along both dikes. I got enough bait for the catfish.
[signature]
That is exactly what I want to hear. This was recently I presume?
[signature]
Did it this morning.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Did you fish within the park or further up the river above the bridge?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I fished inside the park.
[signature]
It has been a wierd year for sure. Last year I was catching Whites on almost every cast at the orchards area in May through at least June 2nd, my last record from 2018. This year, I catch one on each trip, just enough to catch some cats. Last time I had to resort to my frozen package from last year, and next year will be short pickins for sure.

The cats are sure willing to play, but have not found the white bass like the last several years.