Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver Flat Reservoir & Invitation
I'm going to fish Silver Flat Reservoir in American Fork Canyon Saturday. It will be my first time there. I'm looking for links for good maps and current information considering altitude (what is it's altitude?). I'm wondering if I'll be getting to where there is slush or snow and the current road conditions there to know if I should change to one of my different set of wheels for optimum traction.
I have oversize Blizzaks which would be great if it is slush and mud, but I don't know what to expect there. What kinds of roads? Will they be suitable for enjoying off-road driving for high performance or do regulations and perhaps population or traffic there require me to drive slow and I should save that part of the adventure for another destination?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2%...-111.65907

I'll probably fish with a light rod and my spinning reel with 3 pound Nano with trying a variety of light lures and maybe some tiny things that would require a water weighted float for casting. Though fly fishing there might be the way to go, I put all that away years ago and haven't replaced a broken fly rod. I'll get back into fly fishing in the future. I got way into fly tying in a big way, but now my focus is still on the larger lures though it will need to be tiny ones for this reservoir.

Any suggestions for this fishing location on fishing, driving, off-roading, what else to see ... other?

I might bring my Dave Scadden fishing Kayak to try out for the first time.

Invitation: Who wants to join me on this trip? I have extra passenger seats in my vehicle leaving from Sandy early Saturday morning (not TubeDude early -- after sunrise).
[signature]
I wish I was a Fisher lady - could use a free meal and a movie
[signature]
Silver Flat Reservoir is about 200 ft higher than Tibble Fork, and about 3 miles away. You have to take a really sketchy road up the mountain. The lake is only about 25 percent full as of last week. There is no snow or mud. I hear there is a huge school of grayling in the middle of the rock pile on the north side of the lake, and the rest of the fish are over by the inlet to the East. Small nymphs were the best at catching the grayling. We didn't catch any rainbows.
[signature]
I have a sketchy-ready vehicle.

New information:

FISH! Just stocked just three days ago with 2,001 Rainbow Trout that are 9-1/2 inches! Link: https://dwrapps.utah.gov/fishing/fStart

(Using the map: Click continue. Follow American Fork Canyon up to Silver Flats Reservoir and click it and information comes up with topics to click.)

I've learned how to not catch the small fish. Use BIG lures!

But, I've never caught an Arctic Grayling, so I want to catch just one of those.

Ronald Smile
We fished it last year. Wish I could join you but I already have three offers to go fishing today! We just used plain old worms and did fine. The grayling were pretty small but fun to catch. We also caught a couple of different species of trout. It's a beautiful setting and it should be a fun day for you. Please let us know how you do.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I skillfully fished the rocks in the photograph with swim bait. But, the silly 2,001 of 9-1/2" rainbow trout stocked on June 11 were not impressed. Instead, these DWR pets showed little class by refusing presentations that looked like natural food and were caught by others in the group with Power Bait.

We still had plenty for the griddle and I added thinly sliced potatoes, fresh peppers and onions and all had all we could eat.

They went home that evening. I slept in my vehicle at the lower reservoir, Tribble Fork Reservoir, to wake early to be already there and caught a tiny trout Sunday morning before their breakfast time was over.

It's nice going to new places and these are close and get a lot of family activity and stand up paddle boarding is popular there. The dirt road going up to Silver Flat Reservoir was just a little bumpy and with enough people and cars that my vehicle is still asking me to take it to places where it can show me it's capabilities. The parking lot at Silver Flat Reservoir had plenty of ordinary cars, so it's not a challenging road at all since it would only require going slow for just a short distance.

People often ask me my favorite place to fish. I tell them the ones I recommend for them the most, but my choices for fishing next are most often either places I haven't fished yet or fishing with others as a group.

Related to conversations in our group on ice fishing, most in that conversation expressed enjoying the solitude of fishing alone or away from others. But, I enjoy the social aspects of fishing, so anyone seeing me fishing is invited to come by and fish with me.
[signature]
Catch any arctic grayling?
[signature]
Kent, I sure wanted to and I've never seen one, but no.

Perhaps they were out to the center. I could cast far with a big lure, but not with a tiny lure.

Ronald Smile
With the small mouths that grayling have I don't think going after them with a large lure would work well. A bubble and a fly is a better approach.
[signature]
I fished with what I grabbed quickly from my storage. In hindsight, I should have put a tag line with a tiny fly onto a large lure.

Ronald Smile