Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish spines?!
I've caught tons and tons of catfish so I know they have some pretty wicked stickers I've been poked in my hands and arms several times... it hurts!! But this is a first!! So I got a catfish yesterday, dropped my pliers in the lake as I was wading waist deep, I held the cat as I tried to get my team catfish circle hook out.... the fish started thrashing and the side fin punctured my stomach!! I pulled the fish as hard as I dared the fin wouldnt come out, my friend ran over and pulled so hard he pulled me over almost, so we cut the fin off and went to the emergency room! There was about 10 people that came into the room to see the first time of a catfish fin in someone at the hospital, they did surgery and removed it, pictures are bloody so dont look if your squeamish!! I'm good just sore, be back on the water in no time!!
[signature]
DUDE...OUCH! You're right, never seen that! What a nasty spine!
[signature]
O ot definitely hurt! Only got 4 channels before it happened so I'll have to make up for it next time! It stuck me in the thumb as I was trying to get it out and that actually hurt as much as my stomach wound! Should of seen the doctors and nurses coming in just to see it
[signature]
Small catfish are by far worse than bigger, older fish for this because their spines are not only sharper on the tip but the backward facing hooks also have a sharper cutting edge and therefore grab your flesh better. It's the little guys from 6-10 inches that really get you good.
[signature]
This was about a 26" 5lber
[signature]
Is the catfish okay?[Wink]
[signature]
Ummmm..... he definitely had some gills ripped out when it started shaking while the fin was in me then when we cut the fin off it fell in the water and took off so I mean he may survive or may be seagull food but that was the least of my worries at the moment [Wink]
[signature]
I had a Mud cat spine fin ripp in between my thumb and index finger it went all the way threw and I told my my friend to pull it out and he sand near pulled me over lol. I've been stuck a few times but that one was the worst and hurt for a few days!!
[signature]
I am sorry you got hurt. I really am. But for some weird reason you make me feel better because now I know that there is someone out there that has worse luck than me.(I could tell stories)
[signature]
For every bad day your having someone is having a worse one ! And it's probably me!!
[signature]