Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report on Marshall and Hover lakes in the Uintas
I wanted to take a peak at Hover and Marshall lake in the Murdock Basin on the Kamas side on 150. Echo lake is the more well known one in this basin due to the possibility of catching Golden Trout, but Marshall is rumored to have some big Brookies. I can confirm big brookies - not cause I caught 'em but cause I saw 'em cruising.

While there I witnessed the most amazing dragon fly show. Thousands upon thousands of them mating on the shoreline and on the water. The brookies were so chucked full they remined me of me after a run to chuck-o-rama - just a big blob of protein induced bliss.. They had no interest in anything, but bloating and gloating.

What a treat to see. And now I know they are some bruisers in the water, I will add it to my fall list when the crowds clear. Craig, first goldens them these brookies. Got to come along

Speaking of crowds - wow- getting hard to find elbow room. So many ATVs it was hard for a humble cowboy to find a little space.

I shot some amazing footage of the trip, but with no fish, not sure I will post an actual video. If you want more info let me know.
[signature]
Yup, I'd like to go along--my kidneys have now healed from driving in and out last year. Or maybe it's like childbirth where they forget how bad it was and try it again[Tongue]. Last year we had pretty good success on the goldens in Echo and ended up at Marshall when we got Confused in the maze. Wanted to fish there but it didn't work out. When do you think they will be hungry enough to make it worthwhile to give it a try?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Not much of an expert on dragonfly life cycles, but I would be tempted to take a peek again in a couple weeks and see if they are hungry yet - more likely however that this is an after labor day run for me. I think we are going to check out Burbon, the lake, not the drink, Saturday, if our painter finishes up. My father in law reported some active Brookies from a quick check last week
[signature]
The blue flies you are seeing are not dragon flies. They are damsel flies. Dragon flies rest with there wings spread out from there bodies. Damsel flies wings are tent like ,over their bodies. The blue color is also indicates it is a damsel fly
[signature]
And your insight led me to a couple hours of research online where I learned all sorts of cool stuff about dragons and damsels - and then I even researched the fly variety. Seriously, I learn so much from this forum and the experinced people who share thier knowledge

Learned about, while following the online links, lots of patterns for damsels that require a run to the store so I have that option in the bag next time. Thanks for the info, but Cookie is not so thankful - somthing about stop reading the forum and finish putting in those window frames"

Here is a link I found on fly fishing dameslfly patterns

https://toflyfish.com/fly-fishing-damselflies-shallow/

So many fish to catch - so many honey-dos to sneak out of - what a conundrum.
[signature]
Nice. Did you get a chance to wander about any while up there ... Like to Shepard or (Moba or some thing like that) or some of the other no name lakes ?

I'll be heading up there when the crowds of bugs and people thin out in the fall.
[signature]
I took a quick look at both Shepard and Moba but got up there pretty late and there was a big storm pushing over the peaks so only fished Marshall and Hover and only fished them for a few minutes. Mostly recon on my part. Let me know when you go. Maybe the pirate crew and Craig can hook up with ya for sloppy joes and brookies in the peaks
[signature]
Fish Marshall quite a bit. I’ve caught some decent brookies to around 17” but the horrible road in deters me more and more. Great Lake though! Beast in the basin IMO. There is one above Gem though...
[signature]
Sounds like there are some die hard brookie guys waiting for a cool down to go try Marshall. We ought to get a gathering planned of brookie nuts and make a go of it. I can haul in the stove, some sloppy joe mix and a load of appropriate puns. Maybe we could even see if Tubedudes rig floats on somthing that dosent have cats under it....

Did you ever get into Atwood Basin to try out the lake I mentioned? I heard Bob's lake, over in the middle fork of the Black might be worth a hike too. Need to check that rumor out. Brookie rumors are like my addition to chasing gold.....
[signature]
Can confirm - Bob's lake in the middle fork of Blacks Fork in quite a hike. Went in the a few years back and it did have some fine fishing.

Depending on where you start from it could be quite a trudge unless you are a spry young feller. Still could take a spell to get to that pond.

I would be up for a Uintas gather - not being a spring chicken any more I would prefer an easier access or more leisurely paced hike.
[signature]
I’ll have to look at our pms too see what lake that was but no I haven’t been yet. Still haven’t hit the Uintas this year. Shame
[signature]