Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado archery elk hunt
Arrived in our area today late afternoon and started setting up camp, rest of the crew arrives tomorrow. I had to sneak out early to make sure we got the spot we like. Season starts Sat so hopefully somebody connects and we’re packing meat right off. It’s a bit warm at 9000’ and much better forage than last year, maybe a bull will sing me to sleep tonight. Updates to follow
[signature]
I see you rough it like we do, good luck on your hunt.
[signature]
Almost brought the wall tent, but the tin tent is so easy to set up [sly]
[signature]
I know what you mean, especially when you get older.
[signature]
So where ya hunting anyway?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.
Unit 62 in Colorado, very warm but we’ve seen 8 elk after today, 7 cows 1 bull but no shots. Heard our 1st bugle last night at camp around 9pm so hopefully they will start talking
[signature]
The Uncompahgre is a great area for elk. My son wants me to hunt with him in an area east of Grand Junction, but the tags are so expensive now.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.
Yesterday at 7am, 1st calling spot and 3 calls into the set and I see brown moving up the hill too my right at about 50 yds. I move onto my knees and turn toward the animal when it’s behind the trees. It turns my direction I see that it’s a bull and is legal, and gets to a lane that I figure is about 35 yds and stops quartering towards me. Settled the 30 yd pin high on its front shoulder and released the arrow, heard the hit and he spun down the hill. He went about a tenth of a mile and piled up. Nice 4x5. Finished packing him out around 3pm
[signature]
GREAT BULL!!!!! Awesome job. Isnt bowhunting just about the funnest thing ever. I tip my hat to you sir!!! Way to get it done. I have hunted 62 and 61 before back in the day. Need to start applying again.
[signature]
Thanks Yes it is a fun way to pursue animals, I started in 72 chasing deer then found elk hunting, I really like the calling aspect of the hunt. Yes hope you can find your way back into it
[signature]