Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knolls wrapup 10-15-19
[#0000ff]Wanted to hit the Knolls (Utah Lake) once more before the contest closed...to see if I could bag a couple of bumpers. Din't gitter dun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Met up with fellow tuber Pa around 7 am. Launched over the cobble rocks and was into deeper water fairly soon. Great to see the water level remain this high...this late in the year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The remnants of the full moon were still hanging in the west as we paddled forth. Air temp 40 and water temp 50...rising all the way to 51 by noonish. Fairly good clarity...for Utah Lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We both just started paddling out to find some deeper water...and fish...hopefully. Didn't see much on sonar until we got past about 5'...and then a few more at 6' and beyond. But we saw a lot more than we felt on our lines. Sonar must have been lying.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pa scored the first slime...errr blood. Got a cookie cutter kitty about 8:30. I got one about the same size just before 9. But the "first fish jinx" got Lee. No more came to net for him the rest of the day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thought I might have used up all my luck too. Had some pop and drops and lost a couple halfway to the net. Fish were taking lightly. Finicky. Picky eaters.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worked clear down past the rock point and out to over 8 feet of water. Missed a couple more inexperienced fish that didn't know how to get the hook. Then...while getting ready to make a tackle change...I knocked one of my rods out of the holder and into the water. SPLOOSH. It was my big bait caster flig rig. Dropped a marker buoy over the side as quick as possible but a sudden strong breeze moved me a few feet and I never could snag my rig to retrieve it. Down one rig. Only got about 100 more. That rod was not costly but the reel was spendy...and spooled with Nanofil. $$$$$$$[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About 11 I figured the fishing might be over for the day...as slow as it was. So I broke out a couple of my new "Whirly Fligs"...baited them with chub heads and started slow dragging back toward the launch area. Pa was already about halfway back in. That's when I got my last four fish...within the next hour.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The first three all hit the fire tiger whirly with a chub head. One was 27", one 26" and the other a Utah Lake "cookie". The last of the four hit a chartreuse with 3 red spots. All hit in depths between 6 and 7 feet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All in all a beautiful day. Mostly calm with light breezes. And the whole lake was glass as I drove off about 1 pm.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The lake was very pretty the whole time. I've always done pretty well at the Knolls. Wasn't meant to be today I guess. But that's ok . No skunk. Pat thanks for the chubs. I tried most everything I had today but only the one taker. She took a pale perch Flig tipped with a chub minnow in 7.4 ft of water. we couldn't have asked for better weather. Good day for sure.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey, that picture was of a bullhead. I told you that was what was messing with me.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
yes sir
[signature]
Thanks for another fine report and the pictures. I haven't had time to put mine together. Julie and I went out Saturday evening and we got 7, then I went out with Craig, in separate boats, on Monday and I got 6. Nothing over 26 either day.

Saw mostly the same things you saw. More bumps on the bottom than hits and a lot of lighter hits. About half the fish came on the larger whirly (chart, 3 red spot) and half came on different flait rigs.

I get breather now that the contest is over. I have to clean my boat and my reels. That slime gets everywhere when the fishing is fast!
[signature]
Nice job guys, its great to have so many still out having fun... Pretty hard to bring in a last minute monster when everyone has been trying all season to do the same, but luck is as it is so it's always possible...Glad you guys got a great day to enjoy, even if the fishing is slowing down... So are you heading for perch and crappie now, or are you fine to keep chasing the kitties? It's always fun to see your tanker perch you wrestle out of Willard this time of year... good luck... Jeff
[signature]
"So are you heading for perch and crappie now, or are you fine to keep chasing the kitties? It's always fun to see your tanker perch you wrestle out of Willard this time of year.."

[#0000FF]Went to Willard today. More cats and a 24" wiper. (Will post a report soon) The perch will show up after the water gets down toward 45. It was 52 today. [/#0000FF]
[signature]