Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado trout fest
We drove over here to Grand Junction to visit my middle son, his wife and three sweet daughters aged 4-10. Daniel, Keira, the 10 tear old, and I went up on Grand Mesa to do some ice fishing this morning. There are literally hundreds of small lakes there. We did some exploring and after a couple of inquiries we decided to go to Island Lake. We found the road was packed and groomed for snowmobiles and figured the Rubicon was up to it. No problem until Daniel pulled a little off the beaten track. The powder was slightly too deep for his 35" tires. Out came the winch and after a lot of back and forth with all four wheels spinning (he has electric lockers front and rear) we eventually got back on the strait and narrow. It was an adventure. By the time we drove back to the highway where everybody else was parked (duh) it was a little after noon. Several of the early-morning groups were just coming up the trail and we pumped them for information. One pair told us where they had killed them out to the west of the island. We quickly got our ourselves out onto the lake. The island is sort of a double-humper covered with the same conifers that dominate the mesa. We found their holes and happily settled in to fish.

We also had good fishing. We caught at least 30. The lake appears to have rainbows, brooks, lakers, splake, and browns. One gent had told us that he caught several good browns clear down by the dam, but we only caught the other four species. All 10-14" but fat and scrappy. I hadn't brought any of my tackle but we did get over to Sportsman's Warehouse before they closed last night and got some ice-fishing staples. Daniel has plenty of tackle, of course, and I started out with what he had on my loaner rod. It was a very small sand-colored tube jig. Tipped with a waxworm it started catching right away. We made sure Keira got the first fish and many others. She kept count so we wouldn't go over our limits. Eventually that tube got ripped to pieces and then I just used the plain jig with a waxy which also produced. Later I replaced it with a green Atomic Teaser which worked very well. I tipped it with waxworms, spikes and Trout Nibbles and they all worked. I also switched to a glow white #10 Ratso which was just as good as the others when tipped with a waxworm or spike.

My son and granddaughter said it was the best ice-fishing day they had ever had. When it started getting cold we packed up our 11 fish and headed home.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.
Quite the adventure Craig glad you were able to get out, but it will make for good stories for all. Nice job on the fish and getting the granddaughter into some good action, I’m sure your “restock” at the Sportsman’s was going to happen anyway lol, I always like stopping at the local stores to see what gear they may have and I think I need. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you and your family and safe travels.
[signature]
Sounds like a good time minus being subject to the Jeep's extreme limitations with snow (and pavement). Has Jeep finally fixed the infamous Jeep Death Wobble?
Any pictures? Southern Colorado is beautiful.
[signature]
My old Cherokee had the death wobble but I didn't hear anything about it from my son. Oh, I should have taken pictures to share but I just take the beauty for granted. Will never get my wife to move there. [Sad]
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.
Sure is beautiful. You can always visit. I've gone twice in the last 3 months.
I just don't like any Jeep Wrangler variant. The old Cherokees could shake quite a bit but they never became uncontrollable like the Wranglers were notorious for doing. Jeep actually finally produces a safe vehicle- the new Cherokee is road worthy.
[signature]