Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat contest
It's only 59 days to the start of the catfish contest. It's not too early to start ordering things and getting ready, especially for you who don't love ice fishing. Go out and catch some white bass for bait. Sharpen your hooks. Replace that old line. Just some suggestions [Smile]. Hate to see you bored all winter.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I got a hook sharpener for Christmas, as well as a Penn liveliner reel. I also bought another reel and some new line. I'm just waiting four rippin lips to come back out with their line of rods and I'll be set... Oh and get my boat finished lol
[signature]
You guys are rushing it.

I haven't even gotten completely ready for ice fishing yet. Next year is coming up fast and I should be ready by then.

rj
[signature]
How's violet feeling? Is she over the pneumonia yet?

It can't get here fast enough. I can tell you one thing I haven't used as much truck gas not driving out to the lake 4 days a week.
[signature]
The doctor tells us the pneumonia has pretty much cleared up. She has a virus as a result and is having a hard time trying to get that cleared. She keeps telling me next week she will be better. That was three weeks ago.

How can a fish be so addicting?

rj
[signature]
A little early yet Craig. The only thing I done is down my reels to clean and grease them.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
I know, I know. What I'd really like to do is catch some cats through the ice, channel or bullhead. Any ideas how?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

First step will be safe ice on a channel cat pond... Although the back sloughs are iced on Cutler, I've never been lucky enough to find a cat through the ice on them... But when the Bear Channel freezes safely, which isn't often, I have been with a guy that pulled 5 channels out one day... He tried to teach me, but I just couldn't feel them enough to hook them and I didn't have a good enough finder at the time to see the fish grab my hook, but if she freezes this winter I'm going to try it again with some new tools and toys... hopefully I can get my first through the ice... but I'm not counting on that happening.. But I do want to see if I've learned anything and could do it... Later Jeff
[signature]
BRING ON THE SOFT WATER!!!!![Smile]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
[#0000FF]My float tube is whining out in the garage. But I am keeping busy tackle tinkering and making new fligs.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The higher water levels on our kitty ponds should make for another good year...both for the cats and us cat chasers.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Never really tried for them but did ice a 20" at willard back in 2016
'
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
This is for you and Jeff.

Catching cats through the ice is very doable. As Jeff says, find a body of water that holds Cats. Take the time to find the honey hole; the cats seem to congregate in a deeper part of the lake or river.

I found such a place in Willard some years back. Though it was a long walk I fished it when ever I felt up to it. The rate of catch was better than I have found during the summer.

This is not exaggeration: I caught them almost as fast as I could get my lure down the hole. I kept after them until one day the ice broke around the hole and needless to say I got wet. That was the last time I fished exclusively for them. I have caught them in Newton and Echo as well while fishing for other species.

I am at a point of my life when I just enjoy catching a fish even if it is a carp. Just don't have the stamina for the pursuit.

rj
[signature]
Hey Richard, thanks for the great info... The hard part to me seems to be the finding of the spots where the fish are hanging. I think your deep water matches what I have found, but there are a lot of spots that are deep, that don't have any fish in them... I found one spot that is a shallower hump in the middle of deep water all around and it seems like the active cats move up onto the hump to feed, however, it only ices for a few days a year and is pretty scary to get on that thin ice with current under it... Maybe I'll have to try to find Pat's winter cat condo at Willard and see if I can catch some there... Later Jeff
[signature]
[#0000FF]Winter cat condo at Willard? Probably harder to find a place where you don't pick up the occasional cat there. They feed actively all winter and move around. If you are in any area that holds other species you should have a kitty or two accept your offerings.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That being said, there have been some spots that seemed to produce more cats on some trips. But, like other things Willard, they may not be there on your next trip.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]This winter...with higher water...it should be good in the north marina...as well as in the channel outside and right on the channel up off the shelf on the north side. Biblical system...seek and ye shall find.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat I’ll have to check if we get safe ice. Hard to fish a flig vertical what did you find that cats like in the winter through the ice? Thanks Jeff
[signature]
[#0000FF]They pretty much hit whatever you are fishing for any of the other species. But if I were to pick a proven winner it would be something small...in fire tiger color...with a small piece of worm or perch meat. But they also hit white and chartreuse pretty good.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]One thing the cataholics used to do on Utah Lake...and I'm betting it would work on Cutler or Bear River...is just soaking a whole minnow or a big piece of meat on the bottom. One guy I knew would drill his hole in a proven area and then set the baited rod up and walk back ways and be patient. He left the bail open, with a loop of line around an empty drink can. That would give both a visual and audible indication of when a fish moved off with the bait. That was in the days when we could only use one rod. It would be a good second rod option today when we can use two rods.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]One thing about the Willard Cats is that they don't hit hard in winter. I have caught several that barely moved the rod tip while they were sampling the baited hook. Expected maybe a bluegill or crappie and had serious weight when I set the hook.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Something to watch out for is that the cold cats will often roll in the line on the way up and might come to the hole tail first. Don't try to pull them up on the ice like that if you have light line. Tough to get them to unwind but a good pair of fish grippers can help.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If the cats are hugging the bottom they may not show up well on some sonars...just a bump on the bottom. Ditto for the perch at times. They might be keeping their tummies right in the mud and if you don't have good target separation on your finder you won't know they are there. But periodically raising your jig up a bit and watching for a piece of the bottom to follow will clue you in.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks so much Pat, this is great info and is much appreciated... I noticed when we were catching them last time, that with the rod I had I couldn't ever tell I was getting a hit at all. I don't remember if I had a spring bobber at the time or not, but I hope my newer rods will be sensitive enough to show those light bites... Maybe the bobber trick would be good for them as well as the perch. I had been having issues with the perch and using the little slip bobbers has sure improved my catch rate... Thanks for the assist... Jeff
[signature]