Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 2/25 - Crappie Musky
Last night I invited a friend and his son out for the late night crappie at PV. We got to the parking lot around 6:45 and it was full so we parked behind several others on the shoulder across from the caretakers house. It was 17 degrees and dropped to 10 when we got back around 11:30. 

Found a spot with 37-40’ of water and lots of marks in the water column. Fishing wasn’t hot but it was decent. Pulled in fish every couple of minutes. The time went quickly with the help of some dinner cooked over the heater. Around 10:30 we decided to call it quits at 11. At 10:50 my friend hooked into a huge tiger musky. We got it to the bottom of the holes after a few minutes of letting her run with line. We could not get the head turned up the hole, but could see that she would have filled up the 8” opening. Saw head and tail across 4 of the five holes I had drilled. The picture is from a video I shot during some of the fight. 

Fun night but very cold and a hell of a hike up that hill. Glad there were a few of us to get the gear up. Seems like everyone packs up around the same time. 

[Image: 163-DFC17-B0-F3-45-EC-8812-5-A0-B25-C2-FAC4.jpg]

[Image: EBF0-F963-91-E8-4-BED-B87-A-CF8-BDB710-A44.jpg]
Sounds like a good night.  Too bad on losing that big musky. Did you have to use glow stuff or did it matter?
Thanks Paul, yes it was a good night out there. Glow stuff was definitely better than the other offerings. Had to recharge them often.
(02-26-2022, 06:30 PM)JArner Wrote: Last night I invited a friend and his son out for the late night crappie at PV. We got to the parking lot around 6:45 and it was full so we parked behind several others on the shoulder across from the caretakers house. It was 17 degrees and dropped to 10 when we got back around 11:30. 

Found a spot with 37-40’ of water and lots of marks in the water column. Fishing wasn’t hot but it was decent. Pulled in fish every couple of minutes. The time went quickly with the help of some dinner cooked over the heater. Around 10:30 we decided to call it quits at 11. At 10:50 my friend hooked into a huge tiger musky. We got it to the bottom of the holes after a few minutes of letting her run with line. We could not get the head turned up the hole, but could see that she would have filled up the 8” opening. Saw head and tail across 4 of the five holes I had drilled. The picture is from a video I shot during some of the fight. 

Fun night but very cold and a hell of a hike up that hill. Glad there were a few of us to get the gear up. Seems like everyone packs up around the same time. 

[Image: 163-DFC17-B0-F3-45-EC-8812-5-A0-B25-C2-FAC4.jpg]

[Image: ICE-MUSKY.jpg]
Had a tough time making out your fish in the pic you posted.  So I copied it and lightened it up a bit.  Easier to see the monster under the ice.
Thanks Pat, yes it’s tough to make out. I do wish I had kept recording.
I still can't see it! Sad
Here is the video link.

https://youtube.com/shorts/rtG0Cj5BPbQ?feature=share
Wow! That is a monster muskie. Thanks for sharing the video.
(02-28-2022, 01:09 AM)hookngrinin Wrote: Wow! That is a monster muskie. Thanks for sharing the video.

Thanks, yes that was a monster. One we won’t soon forget.
What a giant! Did the muskie take your crappie rig?
(03-01-2022, 02:50 PM)sliverslinger Wrote: What a giant! Did the muskie take your crappie rig?

I believe it came in and swiped at the blue/silver kastmaster, and got snagged with the rat finke on it's way out.
(03-01-2022, 05:39 PM)JArner Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 02:50 PM)sliverslinger Wrote: What a giant! Did the muskie take your crappie rig?

I believe it came in and swiped at the blue/silver kastmaster, and got snagged with the rat finke on it's way out.

As big as they are, tigers still occasionally slurp some small lures being fished for other species.  I know of several caught through the ice on bitty bites being worked for crappies or perch.  And the pic below is of a 36 incher I caught from my float tube in November one year while fishing small jigs on the bottom in over 40 feet up near the buoy line.  The jig was well inside the fish's mouth and I was only using 6# mono.  In spite of a couple of jumps and a lot of cavorting the line held long enough for me to bring the fish to net.

[Image: BIG-FISH-LITTLE-JIG.jpg]
Huge fish, that would of been a thrill for sure