Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco spawn
Do any of you know if Cisco are showing up near the shore at Cisco beach or the State Park Marina? My dad used to dip them when he was young and I want to take him with me while he can still navigate the ice and freezing temps.
(01-24-2023, 03:22 AM)Boisan Wrote: Do any of you know if Cisco are showing up near the shore at Cisco beach or the State Park Marina? My dad used to dip them when he was young and I want to take him with me while he can still navigate the ice and freezing temps.

With 16+ deicers inside the marina running 24/7, the water currents are really moving inside and outside the marina now.  I'd be surprised if we see any cisco run at the marina with that much current circulating.  (Its possible though).  The normal location (Cisco Beach) is where you'll want to focus your time and attention.  There were some cisco along the shoreline this morning.  I'll be headed up tomorrow to confirm those reports.  The water is open along the east side from 1st Point to Rainbow Cove so bring waders or hip boots. They help to keep you dry.  Personally I do not like getting the water and prefer to keep a low profile along the shoreline and let the fish come to you.  Each to their own though.
Hey Scott how big of an event do you expect on Saturday for the Disco? I need to get some fresh bait, so we are looking at trying it Saturday more for the tradition than anything else... Guess it's going to be a dip net year rather than jigging them... Are you cooking scones and cisco this year? If so we'll see if we can drop by and say "hi"... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear its not too late this year for the chance at dipping a few from shore. I missed timed the run the last two years and Im determined to make it happen this year. Thanks again. Stay safe out there.
I was at Cisco Beach at 7:00am this morning (Tuesday).  There were about 5 other people there too.  I saw one guy dip 2 cisco and talked to another guy who said they dipped a few on Monday morning.  The fish are very skiddish and there were quite a bit of waves/wind this morning.  We saw several cisco but were unable to dipnet any since it was very difficult to see with the waves.  Stayed there until 9:10am and gave up.  My friends launched at First Point and attempted to get to the rockpile.  They said it was locked up and could only reach 87' of water before they gave up.  We are going to try jigging from a boat tomorrow (Wednesday) but we will likely be limited to Cisco Beach.  It was 20F this morning, so not nearly cold enough to freeze things up.  Looks like this coming weekend will be open water.  If the weather is calm any morning this week the Cisco should be plentiful enough to dipnet off Cisco Beach.  If anyone can get to the rockpile I'm sure they could easily jig up limits, but the ice is too much for boats and not safe enough to stand on.  The success is going to be 100% weather dependent. The fish are there, but it will need to get calmer so they come closer to shore.  It calmed down today but not until about 9:30.  Not sure how the dipnetters did after we left today.  The one angler I spoke to said they did pretty good from about 8:30am to 10:00 on Monday and even dipnetted a few on Sunday.  Good luck to everyone.  We will be at Cisco Beach on Saturday morning at daybreak to cook scones and fries.  Not sure if we will get any Cisco due to the conditions, but I will keep trying the rest of the week.
Thanks for the report Scott, I was kind of hoping you'd say it was iced over... I really enjoy dipping the cisco through an ice hole... Later J
So you can't launch boat out of Marina?
My pops and I will have to wait until next year to dip some cisco. He tested positive for Covid just before the weekend so we canned the trip. Sounds like conditions were a bit tough this year but Im happy to hear reports of others getting into them.

Big shout out to BearLakeFishGuy for the daily fishing and ice conditions. Ill be sure to stop by next year and say hi.
Don't know if you seen my report, but we didn't see a cisco on Saturday, conditions were really wavy so you were fine missing that day... Later Jeff
(01-31-2023, 05:56 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Don't know if you seen my report, but we didn't see a cisco on Saturday, conditions were really wavy so you were fine missing that day... Later Jeff

Well I guess we didnt miss much as far as fishing. Thanks for letting me know. Fingers crossed next year things line up for everyone that target cisco.
I agree it was so close to being perfect if the waves would have stayed away and let the ice form...Maybe next year... Jeff