Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua lately?
Just wondering if anyone has tried Mantua lately? Last I checked, the catching has really slowed down on that pond but that was 3 or 4 weeks ago. I think the ice is still plenty safe.
A man needs to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing! 
(01-28-2023, 04:37 AM)lavaman Wrote: Just wondering if anyone has tried Mantua lately? Last I checked, the catching has really slowed down on that pond but that was 3 or 4 weeks ago. I think the ice is still plenty safe.

I fished it last Saturday with a couple of newbies. Slow, slow, slow. Saw lots of perch on the camera, but they were not interested in anything. I did hook something big and ran my drag, but was using a light wire hook and it bent it out. Only caught 6 fish, 3 trout and 3 perch.
Went our Thursday from SE corner between no parking signs, and was some unfrozen areas near shore as you entered so stayed on 'path'. No slush that day, but seemed to be previously based on tracks. Ice out toward knoll was under 5" snow and was then maybe 10" in several 'layers' of mixed consistency, nothing clear and solid. Fishing was slow for me and others except for few planter trout.
Went out today and I don't think I've ever seen it so slow. Bite was almost non-existent. To make matters worse it looked like a city on the pond. I didn't see anyone catching anything except for an occasional trout.
No solid clear ice but plenty of the cloudy frozen slush about 14" thick.
(01-29-2023, 05:34 AM)lavaman Wrote: Went out today and I don't think I've ever seen it so slow. Bite was almost non-existent. To make matters worse it looked like a city on the pond. I didn't see anyone catching anything except for an occasional trout.
No solid clear ice but plenty of the cloudy frozen slush about 14" thick.

Not sure how much snow was added to Mantua last night as I got 16" at my house which is only couple miles from Hyrum.  So, I'll be sure to take a shovel if I get out again Undecided
It's almost too much work dragging a full sled across all that snow!
So did that much snow make slush monster round two? I was with smokepole, we got about 14" and wind that drifted it really bad, so spent yesterday just digging out... It's been down to -30 this morning sitting at -28 now so I suspect if the snow isn't too thick, it should be making ice this morning... I heard the snow was very localized though, so not sure if Mantua got hit or not.. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-30-2023, 02:10 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So did that much snow make slush monster round two?  I was with smokepole, we got about 14" and wind that drifted it really bad, so spent yesterday just digging out... It's been down to -30 this morning sitting at -28 now so I suspect if the snow isn't too thick, it should be making ice this morning... I heard the snow was very localized though, so not sure if Mantua got hit or not..  Later J

Has anyone been to Mantau in the past week? Sounds like catching was slow the end of January.
Looked like a couple folks on the ice yesterday as I drove by, but don't know if they were BFT folks or not... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!