Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DC 6/23
Slowww was the name of the game.

Got on the water around 6 with our hearts and minds set on walleye. Pulled harnesses for about an hour on the north side, then the west side, then the east side.

Repeated those steps with crank baits. 

Only managed one rainbow and one small mouth. Didnt see a ton on the graph either. They are out there, but we didnt find them yesterday.

Water temps 59 to 62. Judging by the other fishing boats jetting from spot to spot, I dont think their days were very good either. 

Got off the water when the wind picked up. The good news about DC not being "on" for me is maybe I will take a trip to echo to try and find the eyes, since each destination seem to have equal opportunities for sucess at the moment  Big Grin
(06-24-2023, 01:29 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Slowww was the name of the game.

Got on the water around 6 with our hearts and minds set on walleye. Pulled harnesses for about an hour on the north side, then the west side, then the east side.

Only managed one rainbow and one small mouth. Didnt see a ton on the graph either. They are out there, but we didnt find them yesterday.

Water temps 59 to 62. Judging by the other fishing boats jetting from spot to spot, I dont think their days were very good either. 

Got off the water when the wind picked up. The good news about DC not being "on" for me is maybe I will take a trip to echo to try and find the eyes, since each destination seem to have equal opportunities for sucess at the moment  Big Grin
Well that had to be disappointing, with the water temp still being pretty low, that could have been what made the difference. I've been thinking about hitting echo too, so if you get up there I'd sure like to hear how you do. Have you ever tried jigging crawlers over likely walleye marks there at DC?
(06-26-2023, 01:35 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Well that had to be disappointing, with the water temp still being pretty low, that could have been what made the difference. I've been thinking about hitting echo too, so if you get up there I'd sure like to hear how you do. Have you ever tried jigging crawlers over likely walleye marks there at DC?

So I hit Echo today - I think a few more visits and maybe I'll crack the code. Lucked into one eye, and thr fish gods threw me two pitty rainbows for the smoker.

Water temps were 64-68 up there, I was trolling reef runners. One white, one kind of a green that fades into a dark navy on top. There was far too much debris to deploy the crawler harnesses. I'm excited to go back. I think I'm going to try using my downriggers around 15 feet and pull a paddle tail, I also didn't get a ton of time to find good hard bottom, so I'll have to keep looking.

I have not jigged crawlers, but I do a lot of damage with jigging raps. I call it sniping them!
(06-26-2023, 02:30 AM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 01:35 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

So I hit Echo today - I think a few more visits and maybe I'll crack the code. Lucked into one eye, and thr fish gods threw me two pitty rainbows for the smoker.

Water temps were 64-68 up there, I was trolling reef runners. One white, one kind of a green that fades into a dark navy on top. There was far too much debris to deploy the crawler harnesses. I'm excited to go back. I think I'm going to try using my downriggers around 15 feet and pull a paddle tail, I also didn't get a ton of time to find good hard bottom, so I'll have to keep looking.

I have not jigged crawlers, but I do a lot of damage with jigging raps. I call it sniping them!
I fished echo on saturday and had similar results, 2 eyes around 14" and a 22" brown. caught them snapping paddle tails on points.
Thanks for the Echo reports guys, sounds like they are there,  if I can find them.